Graduate School Administrative Board Meeting Minutes
Monday, February 26, 2007
Mendenhall Student Center
Members Present: Gerhard Kalmus, Sharon Knight, Linner Griffin, Denis Brunt, Sharon Bland, George Kasperek, Art Rouse, Scott Lecce, Mark Taggert, Margie Gallagher, Ron Newton, Belinda Patterson, Heather Ries
Members Absent: Carmine Scavo, Martha Alligood, Stan Eakins, John Kramar, John Placer, Todd Nolan, Jim Holte, Vivian Mott, Patrick Pellicane
1. Meeting called to order by Dr. Ron Newton, presiding in absence of Dr. Pellicane
Meeting was called to order at 3:35pm
2. Acceptance of minutes of February 12, 2007- Ron Newton
Minutes were approved as written
3. Report from the Graduate Curriculum Committee – Sharon Knight
Minutes of February 7 GCC approved with noted catalog revisions shown below.
The GCC moved to approve the proposal of new course(s) NURS 7272, pending the following amendment(s): that the following statement be added to the justification: “The School of Nursing Graduate Curriculum Committee conducted a program assessment and identified the need for this course”; that the grading scale be corrected on the Course Proposal Form; that the course description be modified to eliminate redundancies with the course title. The motion passed.
The GCC discussed the issue of Graduate Certificate programs, and their description and presentation within the ECU Graduate Catalog. Several suggestions were made, and it was determined that the Chair would revise the policies and procedures, with a discussion to follow at the next meeting of the GCC.
4. Update on Research and Creative Achievement Week – Ron Newton
Handout of tentative schedule of content sessions and location distributed to committee. Report by Dr. Kalmus on the North Carolina Academy of Sciences Conference , March 30, 31 and April 1. Keynote speaker for event: Dr. Orrin Pilkey from Duke University.
5. Presentation : Electronic Theses/Dissertations Submission
Dr. Larry Boyer, Jan Lewis, and Bryna Coonin,
Summary of Questions/Comments:
• Hard copies of dissertations would no longer be available in Joyner Library. Microfiche copies maintained. Bound copies can be ordered from Proquest.
• Ownership of data sets that are linked? No answer at this time.
Students can select “open access” to dissertation.
• Academic departments and Graduate School rather than Proquest will retain right to make formatting decisions.
• Use and incorporation of release forms with use of video materials needs to be addressed.
• Students can do work in Word and Proquest will convert to PDF.
• No additional infrastructure needed by ECU at this time to implement other than online permission forms for use by Graduate School. Turn around time of approximately three weeks needed to implement.
• Recommended that electronic submission be voluntary at first and mandatory requirement later.
6. Motion made and approved by committee to move forward with implementation of electronic theses/dissertations submission process.
7. Discussion of Graduate Assembly Meeting
Clarification of role of Graduate Assembly.
o It was the consensus of the group that in the past, the Graduate Administrative Board has recommended policy with final approval of policy resting with Graduate Assembly as prescribed by Appendix F of Faculty Manual.
o It was suggested that members of the GSAB distribute copies of GSAB meeting minutes to graduate directors in their respective schools and colleges.
o Every graduate director is a member of the Graduate Assembly.
8. The meeting was adjourned at 5:00 PM.
Approved Catalog revisions:
7272. American Nursing Traditions of the Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries (3) Nursing history and traditions, with a focus on the art of constructing caring communities, and the science of creating healing environments.