ICTN: Information and Computer Technology
- 6200. Information Technology Project Management (3)
- Skills and knowledge required to manage information technology projects including project planning, cost analysis, human factors, project network diagrams, and risk management.
- 6800. Internet Research Methods (3)
- Collaboration methods that emphasize problem-solving in industry and other technical environments.
- 6805. Computer Networking Hardware (3)
- Hardware components used in modern networking environment. Emphasis on operational characteristics and specification of each component used in computer network.
- 6810. Communication Technology (3)
- P/C: ICTN 6800 or ITEC 6050, 6805 or equivalent experience. Analysis of design, development, and operation of contemporary technical systems used by industry to transmit, process, retrieve, preserve, and store information.
- 6815. Network Media Services (3)
- Internet connectivity required. P/C: ICTN 6800 or 6050. Study of design and implementation of multimedia technology applied to enterprise website strategy. Topics include design of multimedia objects and technology for deploying media rich environment.
- 6820. Networking Technology for Industry (3)
- P: ICTN 6810. Design, implementation, and maintenance of industrial computer networks.
- 6823. Information Security Management (3)
- P/C: ICTN 6800 or 6050; 6810 or consent of instructor; ITEC 6050. Survey of information security terms, concepts, principles, and applications in data networking environment.
- 6825. Dynamic Web Services (3)
- P: ICTN 6815. Modern technologies for providing dynamic contents with enterprise websites. Topics include creation and management of dynamics web services.
- 6830. Advanced Networking Technology (3)
- P: ICTN 6810. Advanced topics in computer networking technology used in industry. Problem-solving activities dealing with installation, configuration, and security of internet and intranet services.
- 6835. Enterprise Web Services (3)
- P: ICTN 6825. Study of integrated web services to a successful enterprise web presence. Topics include development of web site with multiple integrated services, website performance, and security consideration.
- 6840. Communication Strategies for Industry (3)
- P: ICTN 6830. Models and techniques advocated by leaders in field of communications to provide basis for improving exchange of information at all levels of industrial organization.
- 6845. Web Site Development (3)
- P: ICTN 6835. Latest technology in developing successful web sites on Internet as related to industry and business applications, including protocols, standards, and programming tools.
- 6850. Managing Technological Change (3)
- P/C: ICTN 6800 or ITEC 6050. Operational policies and related legal issues for information technology systems in organizations. Topics cover government and industry regulations, policies applied to information technology, industry, development of enterprise polices on effective and legal use of information technology, and other polices related to information technology environment.
- 6853. Cryptography Algorithms and Applications (3)
- P/C: ICTN 6800 or ITEC 6050. Key cryptographic terms, concepts, principles, and applications in networked environment.
- 6855. Networked Commerce Systems (3)
- P/C: ICTN 6800 or ITEC 6050. Design and implementation of network-based commerce systems. Considers infrastructure support issues.
- 6860, 6861, 6862. Special Topic in Technology (1,2,3)
- May be repeated for credit with consent of director of graduate studies. Research in trends, problems, and issues related to field of industrial technology.
- 6865. Fundamental Network Security (3)
- P: ICTN 6800 or ITEC 6050. Survey of security challenge to data communication and computer network. Topics include evaluation of network security threats, fundamental configuration of enterprise network devices, and enterprise network security policy development.
- 6870. Advanced Network Security (3)
- P: ICTN 6865. Advanced technology for providing secure access to enterprise information network and resources. Topics include Virtual Private Network (VPN) implementation, intrusion detection system implementation and configuration, and organizational security models.
- 6873. Network Intrusion Detection and Incident Response (3)
- P: ICTN 6865. State-of-art intrusion detection technology for protecting data network from malicious attack.
- 6875. Emerging Technology (3)
- Internet connectivity required. P: ICTN 6865. State-of-art technologies for accessing enterprise data communication network infrastructure. Topics include wireless, WLAN, broadband Internet access, web application on mobile units, and Storage Area Network.
- 6878. Legal and Ethical Issues in Information Technology (3)
- P: ICTN 6823. Surveys legal environment of information technology and issues relating to privacy, policy, and unauthorized computer and network intrusion, as covered by federal, state, and local regulations.
- 6880. Advanced Topics in Information Infrastructure Design (3)
- P: ICTN 6865. Advanced features in providing reliable information infrastructure for organizations. Topics include current and future development of dynamic routing and switching protocols, such as OSPF, BGP, MLS, etc. Covers issues on IPv6 and its deployment.
- 6883. System Integrity for Information Technology (3)
- P: ICTN 6873. Capstone to provide systematic approaches to design and deployment of comprehensive information integrity measures for data network systems.
- 6885. Network Management Technology (3)
- P: ICTN 6880. Current technologies to address enterprise-wide data communication network management. Topics include planning and deploying hardware and software solution for enterprise network management.
- 7001. Thesis: Summer Research (1)
- May be repeated. No credit may count toward degree. Students conducting thesis research may only register for this course during the summer.
- 9001. Dissertation: Summer Research (1)
- May be repeated. No credit may count toward degree. Students conducting dissertation research may only register for this course during the summer.
IDIS: Industrial Distribution
- 6500. Collaborative Planning in the Supply Network (3)
- P/C: ITEC 6050. Detailed analysis of collaboration among supply network partners; specifically collaborative planning and forecasting for replenishment (CPFR).
- 6515. Logistical Security and Safety Management (3)
- P/C: ITEC 6050. Covers logistical issues involved with laws and regulations internationally and in US. Includes safety issues involved in logistics such as container security as well as new laws that have affected logistics since inception of Homeland Security.
- 6525. Transportation Logistics Management (3)
- P/C: ITEC 6050. Comprehensive examination of critical issues involved in domestic and international transportation management. Provides insight into most important laws, rules, regulations, treaties, and practices remaining in today’s deregulated transportation environment.
- 6535. Supply Chain Logistics Management (3)
- P/C: ITEC 6050. Examines critical issues involved in supply chain logistics management. Issues such as e-business, procurement and outsourcing, supply chain distribution strategies, and latest technology trends in supply chain logistics management discussed.
- 6545. Global Logistics Management (3)
- P/C: ITEC 6050. Examines critical issues involved in global logistics management. Customs, global trading documentation, security issues, NAFTA and free trade, risk management, homeland security issues, and strategic global trade and business options discussed.
ITEC: Industrial Technology
- 5100. Internship in Industrial Technology (3)
- Supervised internship. P: Consent of graduate director. Placement in industrial or technical firm. Requires journal of related activities and final report.
- 6000. Statistical Applications in Industry (3)
- P/C: ITEC 6050. Applies statistical quality control and assurance systems in technology context, including manufacturing, construction, and electronics.
- 6001. Process Analysis and Change Initiatives (3)
- P/C: ITEC 6050. Change and the analytic processes required to identify, document, define, and measure requirements and limitations for any manufacturing or service system. Methods for system improvement will be introduced.
- 6002. Lean Manufacturing (3)
- P/C: ITEC 6050. Study of the fundamental lean manufacturing techniques based on the Toyota Production System including Takt time, 5S, and other methods to minimize waste.
- 6003. Advanced Lean Techniques (3)
- P/C: ITEC 6050 and ITEC 6002. Study of advanced lean manufacturing techniques based on the Toyota Production System including manufacturing cell development and other advanced methods to minimize waste.
- 6010. Readings in Industry (3)
- P/C: ITEC 6050; consent of director of graduate studies. Comprehensive study of contemporary topics of importance. Reading, seminar discussion, written critiques, and conferencing between student and instructor.
- 6050. Strategies for Technical Management and Communications (3)
- Collaborative learning methods that emphasize problem-based learning, heuristics devices, and critical thinking to solve engineering and engineering-related problems.
- 6100. Practicum in Industrial Technology (3)
- May be repeated for maximum of 12 s.h. May count maximum of 3 s.h. P: ITEC 6400; P/C: ITEC 6050; consent of director of graduate studies. Capstone industry-based project. Supervised by committee of ITEC graduate faculty. Final report with formal electronic presentation.
- 6101. Tools and Materials of Industry (3)
- P/C: ITEC 6050. Production of consumer goods in modern industry. Includes processes.
- 6110. Data and Trend Analysis for Quality (3)
- P/C: ITEC 6000. Statistical methodologies including scatter plots, run charts, correlation, linear regression, and multivariate analysis. Six Sigma techniques for DMAIC.
- 6112. Statistical Analysis for Quality (3)
- P/C: ITEC 6000. Topics include statistical thinking, data analysis, presentation of data, design of experiments and analysis of variance. Statistical methods will be related to Six Sigma quality initiatives and appropriate phases of DMAIC.
- 6200. Technology Project Management (3)
- P/C: ITEC 6050. Comprehensive systems used to control projects to achieve technical, managerial, and economic objectives. Emphasis on management controls, computer applications, human factors, and productivity.
- 6295. Digital Communications for Technology (3)
- Investigation and utilization of tools, techniques, and technical systems for transmitting information related to problems and issues of contemporary industry using digital technologies.
- 6400. Research in Industrial Technology (3)
- P/C: ITEC 6050. Applications-oriented study of nature of research in industry and selected strategies of research methodology. Focuses on interpreting engineering data, information retrieval systems, evaluation of industrial research reports, and preparation of industrial-type research proposal.
- 6406. Capital Project and Cost Analysis for Technology (3)
- P/C: ITEC 6050. Methods employed by technical managers to develop a business case for capital projects.
- 6407. Computer Integrated Manufacturing and Automation (3)
- P/C: ITEC 6050. Design, preparation, programming, and evaluation of systems with emphasis on contemporary and emerging applications of various technologies.
- ITEC 6600. Quality Systems (3)
- P/C: ITEC 6050. Quality management systems are appraised, including Baldrige, ISO, Six Sigma and other industry specific models. Statistical techniques and continuous improvement is also reinforced.
- 7000. Thesis (3)
- May be repeated. May count maximum of 6 s.h.
- 8100, 8101. Research Internship (3,3)
- P: Enrollment in ISU Consortium PhD in technology management offered by Indiana State University. Predissertation project(s) addressing technology systems.
- 9000. Dissertation (3-12)
- May be repeated. May count maximum of 9 s.h.
- ITEC Banked Courses
- 6300. Applications of Vibration Analysis (3)
- 6404. Materials Selection and Application (3)
- 6408, 6409. Automated Systems and Laboratory (3,0)
- 5504. Independent Study: Manufacturing (3)
- May be repeated for credit with consent of chair. P: Consent of instructor. Research-oriented problem solving with tools, materials, and processes of manufacturing industries.
- MANF Banked Courses
- 5060. Organic Matrix Composite Materials (3)
- 5090, 5091. Fluid Power Circuits (3,0)
SAFT: Occupational Safety
- 6001. Regulatory Aspects of Occupational and Environmental Safety (3) Formerly SAFT 6260
- Overview and application of regulations affecting occupational and environmental safety.
- 6002. Technical Aspects and Field Audits in Occupational Safety (3) Formerly SAFT 6280
- P/C: SAFT 6001 or consent of instructor. Comprehension and application of the technical aspects of safety to occupational settings.
- 6040. Critical Thinking and Research Methods in Occupational Safety (3)
- Application of critical thinking and research methods to the field of occupational safety.
- 6250. Occupational Ergonomics (3)
- P/C: SAFT 6040 or consent of instructor. Focus on dimensions of occupational ergonomics practice and applications intended to reduce worker/hardware/environmental interface problems in order to enhance worker performance while minimizing adverse physiological effects.
- 6282. Design for Safety and the Environment (3)
- P/C: SAFT 6001, 6002; or consent of instructor. Overview and application of strategy formulation, technical tools, and management tactics required to integrate safety and environmental principles into earliest life-cycle stages of products, processes, and technologies.
- 6288. Contemporary Issues in Occupational Safety (3)
- P/C: SAFT 6001, 6040; or consent of instructor. Examination of current topics in occupational safety.
- 6290. Fire Protection and Prevention (3)
- Prevention and control of fires through building construction, life safety code compliance, detection and alarm, and extinguishing methods. Examines occupancy types and fuels.
- 6292. Industrial Safety (3)
- P/C: SAFT 6001 or consent of instructor. Causes and prevention of occupational accidents and health hazards. Emphasis on organization and operation of safety programs and development of safety awareness.
- 6310. Loss Prevention and Workers’ Compensation (3)
- P/C: SAFT 6001, 6040; or consent of instructor. Advanced study of risk management strategies in workers compensation system in reducing corporate financial losses. An overview of insurance and commercial general liability.
- 6320. Environmental Operations and Hazardous Materials (3)
- P/C: SAFT 6001 or consent of instructor. Measures applicable to handling, storage, and transportation of hazardous materials and disposal of waste. Examines emergency and disaster preparedness models.
- 6402. Applied Safety Management (3)
- P/C: SAFT 6001, 6040; or consent of instructor. Practical application of principles of supervisory safety management as related to supervision at various levels in line organization of manufacturing, construction, and service industries.
- 6410. Systems Safety Analysis (3)
- P/C: SAFT 6001 or consent of instructor. Applications-oriented study of recognition and evaluation of hazards in industrial environment. Formulation of control systems for alleviation of work related accidents and injuries.
- 6500. Field Audits in Occupational Safety (3)
- P/C: SAFT 6001 or consent of instructor. Review and critique of safety operations in factories, construction sites, and/or government agencies.
- 6805. Occupational Safety Monitoring and Control (3)
- P/C: SAFT 6001 or consent of instructor. Discovery, recognition, monitoring, and control of harmful agents in work place.
- 6901, 6902, 6903. Special Topics in Occupational Safety (1, 2, 3)
- May be repeated for credit with or consent of MSOS Program Coordinator. May count maximum 6 s.h. Research in trends, problems, and issues related to field of occupational safety.
- 6995. Practicum in Occupational Safety (3)
- P/C: Completion of all course work for the MSOS Program degree requirement or consent of MSOS Program Coordinator. A supervised industry-based project.
- 7000. Thesis (3)
- May be repeated. May count maximum of 6 s.h.