Academic Affairs
Graduate Catalog 2008-09

BlackBoardIT Help DeskPirateIDIndexEmail and PhoneOneStopCalendarAccessibility

Graduate Degrees

East Carolina University awards 23 different types of graduate degrees, the majority of which are master of arts (MA) and master of science (MS). The list of the 23 types of graduate degrees includes:
Master of Arts (MA)
Master of Arts in Education (MAEd)
Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT)
Master of Business Administration (MBA)
Master of Construction Management (MCM)
Master of Fine Arts (MFA)
Master of Library Science (MLS)
Master of Music (MM)
Master of Public Administration (MPA)
Master of Public Health (MPH)
Master of Science (MS)
Master of Science in Accounting (MSA)
Master of Science in Environmental Health (MSEH)
Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
Master of Science in Occupational Therapy (MSOT)
Master of School Administration (MSA)
Master of Social Work (MSW)
Certificate of Advanced Study (CAS) (Sixth Year)
Educational Specialist (EdS)
Doctor of Education (EdD)
Doctor of Medicine (MD)
(See catalog of the Brody School of Medicine.)
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT)

Graduate Minors

Women’s Studies

Graduate Certificates

Adult Nurse Practitioner
Advanced Performance Studies
Applied Economics
Aquatic Management
Aquatic Therapy
Assistive Technology
Child Welfare Studies
Clinical Nurse Specialist
Community College Instruction
Community Health Administration
Computer Network Professional
Development and Environmental Planning
Distance Instruction
Economic Development
Electronic Commerce
Employee Assistance Program Counseling
Family Nurse Practitioner
Geographic Information Science and Technology
Health Care Administration
Health Informatics
Health Care Management
Hispanic Studies
Hospitality Management
Information Assurance
International Management
International Teaching
Lean Six Sigma
Management Information Systems
Multicultural and Transnational Literature
Neonatal Nurse Practitioner
Nurse Anesthesia
Nurse Leadership
Nurse Midwifery
Nursing Education
Pathology Assistant
Performance Improvement
Professional Communication
Professional Investment Management and Operations
Rehabilitation Counseling
School Business Management
Security Studies
Special Endorsement in Computer Education
Sport Management
Substance Abuse (Criminal Justice)
Substance Abuse (Social Work)
Substance Abuse Counseling
Supply Chain Management
Suzuki Pedagogy
Virtual Reality in Education and Training
Vocational Evaluation
Website Developer

General Requirements for Degrees

The degrees described immediately below are offered in more than one college, school, or department, and the requirements set forth are limited to those that apply in every school and department offering these degrees. Additional requirements particular to each major field precede the list of courses offered in each academic unit. The description of a degree that is offered in only one academic unit is not included here. It precedes the list of courses in that academic unit.

Students should direct questions regarding specific course requirements to the dean, director, chairperson, or graduate adviser in their academic units. The Graduate School will assist in answering other questions.

Only 5000-level courses and other graduate-level courses apply toward graduate degrees or CAS programs. At least half of the credit for the master’s degree must be earned in courses for graduates only, numbering 6000 or above.

Additional requirements applicable to all graduate students are explained in Section 4, Academic Regulations.

The university does not award degrees solely because a student successfully completed the required courses. Violations of the student Code of Conduct, including both academic and nonacademic violations, may result in a degree not being awarded. For example, when the student has disciplinary charges pending, the degree may be withheld or the awarding of the degree may be delayed.

Master of Arts and Master of Science

A minimum of 30 s.h. is required for the master of arts and master of science degrees.

The goal of the MA and MS degree programs is to provide the student with a well-rounded and in-depth understanding of the subject matter. While there are not inflexible rules that govern course requirements in any part of the program, it is expected that the course work will be planned for the student to achieve career goals. In some programs students may take courses in a minor field or in several fields related to their major interest. The detailed course requirement for each program is left to the discretion of the departments and schools; the decision on these matters is to be made by the student’s graduate committee in consultation with the student involved.

See Section 4, Academic Regulations, Research Skills Requirements and under the appropriate discipline below.

When required by a particular program, the thesis represents extended research in some area of the major field. Three to six semester hours of credit are allowed for the thesis, which may be a part of the semester hours from the major field. The writing of the thesis and distribution of copies must conform to the instructions given under Section 4, Academic Regulations.

Master of Arts in Education

The master of arts in education degree (MAEd) is offered by the College of Education, and the School of Art and the College of Human Ecology. The MAEd requires a minimum of 36-39 s.h. credit, depending on the teaching area. School and departmental program descriptions provide information on specific programs. The MAEd (other than the MAEd in adult education) leads to advanced teacher licensure.

The consolidated MAEd offered in the College of Education comprises teaching areas as follows: business education, English education, elementary education, health education, history education (social studies licensure), instructional technology education, middle grades education, physical education, science education, and special education. The college also offers MAEds in adult education, educational supervision, and mathematics education. The MAEd in art education will be offered through the School of Art and the MAEd in family and consumer sciences through the College of Human Ecology. The master of music in music education will be offered through the School of Music.

The courses developed for the College of Education MAEd program replaced existing MAEd courses. If the previous graduate programs were not completed by summer 2002, individuals in those programs are now required to meet all the requirements of the new MAEd program. Students formally admitted to graduate programs are encouraged to make the transition to the new MAEd program. Students who have questions regarding the current program or the new MAEd program, should please contact their graduate advisor or department chair.

For most programs, a thesis is optional for the master of arts in education degree. However, a school or department may require theses in certain programs. If a thesis is written, it will count as 3 or 6 s.h. of credit and must meet the thesis requirements described under Section 4, Academic Regulations.

Master of Arts in Teaching

The College of Education also offers the master of arts in teaching (MAT) with teaching field options as follows: art education, business education, elementary education, English education, family and consumer sciences education, health education, history education, middle grades education, music education, physical education, and science education. The Schools of Art and Design, Music, Health and Human Performance and departments in the Thomas Harriot College of Arts and Sciences will offer subject matter courses and content specific methods courses as well as supervise interns in specific teaching areas. The MAT is a 39 s.h. degree of which 9 s.h. are internship. Successful completion of the MAT leads to advanced teaching licensure.

Educational Specialist Certificate of Advanced Study

Intermediate degrees requiring at least 30 s.h. of work beyond the master’s degree are offered in the areas of educational administration and supervision, counselor education, library science and school psychology. Applicants must hold an appropriate master’s degree from an accredited institution.


Licensure for teachers in North Carolina is dependent upon a competency-based teacher education program. Licensure requirements may exceed degree requirements. Applicants adding a new area of certification to an existing license must take the appropriate specialty area exam of the PRAXIS. When the credits and experiences have been properly planned, coordinated, and implemented, the dean of the College of Education or his or her designee approves the issuance of the proper teaching, counseling, or administrative license. Out-of-state applicants who do not have a teaching license and instate teachers who are changing, upgrading, and adding fields or subjects to their present licenses must submit their credentials to the appropriate academic department or school and to the dean of the College of Education for evaluation in terms of the competency-based teacher education program for North Carolina.