East Carolina University
Office of International Affairs

International Affairs Images



International visitors in B-1 (international visitor visa for business) and B-2 (international visitor visa for pleasure) visa status, as well as those entering pursuant to the Visa Waiver Program, including the WB (used in lieu of the B-1), and the WT (used in lieu of the B-2) status, are eligible to receive honoraria and reimbursement of incidental expenses under the American Competitiveness and Workforce Improvement Act that was passed on October 21, 1998.

B-1/B-2 Visa or WB/WT (Visitor for Business/Tourist)

Information on the B visa category can be found at:

Scholars planning to pay short visits to one or several campuses in the United States can use the B-1 visa for business visitor classification. It is not intended for use by an individual accepting any type of formal appointment for a term or longer.

Visitors can accept reimbursement for incidental expenses and honorarium payments if: (1) the duration of the activity does not exceed nine days at an institution and (2) the visitor has not been paid honoraria or reimbursed by more than five other U.S. institutions or organizations during the previous six months.

If you are going to the U.S. primarily for tourism, but want to take a short course of study which is recreational (and not for credit towards a degree), and the course is less than 18 hours per week, this is permitted on a visitor visa.

The B-1/B-2 visa or WB/WT classification can be used for academic activities including: consulting with business associates; conducting independent research; and participating in scientific, educational, professional or business conventions, conferences, or seminars.

Visa Waiver Program (VWP)

For full details of the Visa Waiver Program please visit:

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) enables nationals of 37 participating countries to travel to the United States for tourism or business for stays of 90 days or less without obtaining a visa

The countries are: Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, and the United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands, and the Isle of Man). The laws and regulations governing salary and honorarium are identical to its counterpart the B-1/B-2 visa.

Letters of Invitation

Foreign nationals attending conferences hosted by ECU sometimes ask employees to issue letters of invitation to support their visa applications. Employees should decline all requests, except where the campus has invited a foreign national to speak or present at a conference and will pay his/her travel expenses and/or offer an honorarium.


Any questions can be directed to:

Brian Meyerhoeffer
Director of Immigration Services
(252) 737-4769