East Carolina University
Office of International Affairs

International Affairs Images


Immigration Information

International students are primarily those students who are not U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents (Green Card holders or resident aliens), but are in the United States on a temporary, nonimmigrant visa primarily engaged in a course of study and were admitted into an academic program.  Federal Regulations regarding studying and working vary widely depending on visa type.

This information is subject to change without notice. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your legal status in the United States, it is important for you to come to the Office of International Affairs and set up an appointment to meet with an advisor.
What are your general responsibilities as an international student in the United States?
  • Keep your PASSPORT valid at all times.
  • Maintain FULL-TIME ENROLLMENT EACH SEMESTER during the academic year.
  • File any necessary EXTENSIONS OF STAY before your present stay expires.
  • Do not accept ANY off-campus EMPLOYMENT without proper employment authorization.
  • Do not TRAVEL outside the United States, even briefly, without the proper documents.
  • Make photocopies of ALL your documents and safeguard the originals.