East Carolina University
Office of International Affairs

International Affairs Images

Once You've Been Accepted!

Congratulations! You have now been accepted to study abroad through ECU and it is time to start planning for your upcoming departure. International Affairs has outlined information below that you will find useful in preparing for your study abroad program.


If you don't already have a passport, apply for one as soon as possible. Passport forms can be found at www.travel.state.gov. You can also pick up a form at the 1st Street Post Office in Greenville.

Student Visas

A visa is the government document required by your host country and is often a stamp in your passport. Most students will be required to apply for a student visa before participation in a study abroad program and the visa requirements vary from country to country. Students will be provided with detailed information about how to apply for a student visa during the pre-departure orientation. Students may also visit the Electronic Embassy website (http://www.embassy.org/embassies/) for links to the Embassies of their host country. More information can be found here about how to apply for a student visa into your host country.

Pre-Departure Orientation

All students participating in a semester or academic year study abroad program are required to attend a pre-departure orientation. Those who fail to attend are subject to having their placements cancelled. Students participating in an ISEP or UNCEP program will attend their pre-departure orientation at UNC-Greensboro and students going on the Semester in Spain program will attend orientation at UNC-Charlotte. All other students are expected to attend the orientation held at ECU each semester.

Permission Form

All classes you intend to take during your study abroad program should be approved for ECU credit prior to your departure. The “Permission For Undergraduates to Take Courses from Foreign Institutions” form should be completed and turned in to the Center for Academic Services, located in the Whichard Building, Room 210 as well as give a copy to the Study Abroad Office.

Health Insurance

All ECU students participating in a study abroad program are required to purchase the HTH Overseas Health Insurance policy for the duration of their studies. In 2011, the insurance rate was $1.32/day. Click here (http://www.ecu.edu/intlaffairs/studyabroadhealth.cfm) for more information about the HTH insurance policy.

Financial Aid

If you are a financial aid recipient, you should make an appointment to meet with the Office of Financial Aid (www.ecu.edu/financial) the semester before you study abroad. You will be required to submit a list of costs associated with your program so your financial aid package can be adjusted appropriately. You will also need a cost adjustment form filled out by the Study Abroad office.

Making payment

Students participating in a student exchange program will receive a bill from the ECU Cashier’s Office to pay their regular tuition prior to departure (ISEP, Poland, and Costa Rica bound students pay tuition, room and board). Payments should be made to the University Cashier’s Office by the payment due date to avoid university late fees and/or cancellation of their semester program.


Students should be prepared to pre-register for classes for the semester they return to ECU. Stay in contact with your academic advisor so you can obtain your registration pin number. Once you have your registration pin number, you can register online through OneStop (www.onestop.ecu.edu) and Banner Self Service.