Office for Equity and Diversity
Diversity and Inclusion Awards (Previous Award Winners)
- Background and Justification
ECU's mission states that the university will serve as a national model for public service and regional transformation. We will distinguish ourselves by the ability to train leaders as we prepare our students to succeed in a global economy and a multicultural society, while facilitating regional transformation.
These four annual awards will recognize demonstrated significant achievements of full-time faculty (Teaching EHRA), full-time staff (SHRA, non-teaching EHRA and CSS), full-time undergraduate or graduate students, or academic unit, administrative unit, university organization or university committee. The awards will complement the development of a university community that is culturally diverse and reflective of inclusive excellence.
Recipients will have contributed to diversity and inclusion through one or more of the following ways:
- Exemplary leadership
- Recruitment, outreach and retention efforts for employees
- Recruitment and graduation efforts for students
- Curriculum development
- Promotion of cross-cultural understanding
- Multicultural programming
- Diversity programming
- Cultural competency
- Advocacy/service as an ally
- Promoting social justice/equity initiatives
- Development and enhancement of an inclusive campus
- Community outreach activities
- Other initiatives
Recipients will have demonstrated one or more of the following:
- A commitment to the spirit of diversity and inclusion
- Leadership through positive interaction among persons of different cultural backgrounds
- Behavior which illustrates commitment to inclusion and respect of persons within the institution who are members of traditionally underrepresented, underserved and diverse groups
- Evidence of exceptional efforts to promote a university environment that is free from bias and discrimination.
All full-time faculty, staff, students and administrators are eligible for this nomination.
Nominations are welcome from any member of the university community. Candidates for these awards should be engaged in meaningful diversity activities in addition to (or extending beyond) their primary responsibility at the university. Nominations are sought in four categories:
- Full-time faculty (Teaching EHRA)
- Full-time staff (SHRA, Non-Teaching EHRA and CSS)
- Full-time undergraduate/graduate students
- Academic unit, administrative unit, university organization or university committee
Award recipients will be selected by an anonymous review committee appointed by the Associate Provost for Equity and Diversity.
The certificates and physical awards will be presented at the Chancellor's Horizon Awards for Service each year.
The online application can be found here. Follow steps below to complete the online application:
- Save the file on your computer.
- Complete the application form.
- Print the form and submit with the additional required items for the nomination packet.
If you have questions about the Diversity and Inclusion Awards, contact Toya S. Jacobs, Diversity and Inclusion Program Manager, at 328-6804 or firstname.lastname@example.org.