The number of semester hours required for a baccalaureate degree at East Carolina University is typically 128 s.h. or fewer. (Any exceptions are indicated immediately following the name of the degree in the undergraduate catalog.) Students who satisfactorily complete an average of 15-16 credit hours per semester should be able to obtain their degrees in four years or eight semesters. Some factors which may extend an individual student's time for completion of a degree are averaging fewer than 15-16 credit hours per semester, repeating courses, failing to meet course prerequisites, changing majors, taking unnecessary or inappropriate courses, withdrawing from school, dropping or failing courses, adding minors and second majors or certificates, and becoming academically ineligible to continue enrollment. Participation in internships, practicum, cooperative education, and study abroad programs may or may not extend the number of semesters for graduation.
BOTH UNDERGRADUATE AND GRADUATE
- Consult with your advisor to ensure that your degree requirements on your Degree Works audit are complete or will be completed by the term you wish to graduate.
- Before you apply to graduate online you must make sure that your degree information (including minors, concentrations, certificates) is correct. Check your transcript to verify programs you are enrolled in. If there is an error, contact your advisor to get your degree information corrected.
- Please apply to graduate for the term in which ALL degree requirements are completed. This may not be the term you plan to participate in commencement.
- Complete the application for graduation online through Pirate Port for each program you plan to graduate with.
- Complete the exit survey when emailed a survey link by IPAR. Call 328-9492 with questions about the survey.
- Check your Degree Works audit or Pirate Port for holds. Holds will delay the mailing of the diploma.
For more information regarding graduation services, please e-mail Karen Rupp at email@example.com
GRADUATION APPLICATION DEADLINES
APPLYING TO GRADUATE
Application for graduation must be completed online through Pirate Port at least one semester prior to completing the requirements of the degree.
Instructions for How to Apply for Graduation (Updated 1-5-2016)
Students that do not complete graduation requirements in the term they have applied will automatically
have their graduation application moved to the next graduation term. Students that fail to meet graduation requirements in three consecutive terms will have
their graduation application deleted. Students who have had their application deleted must
reapply for graduation using Pirate
Frequently Asked Questions for Applying for graduation Online.
When can I apply for graduation?
Undergraduates - You must have completed at least 75 s.h. in order to apply for graduation. You should try to apply at least one semester ahead of your anticipated graduation date.
Graduates - You must have completed at least 12 s.h. in order to apply for graduation. You should try to apply at least one semester ahead of your anticipated graduation date.
Which curriculum term do I select (step 1) when applying for graduation?
On the first step of the online graduation application process you are asked to select a Curriculum Term. Please select the term that you are currently registered in, NOT the term you are planning on graduating.
What do I do if my curriculum listed in the online graduation application process is incorrect?
STOP! DO NOT SUBMIT a graduation application. Before you can apply online you must make sure that your degree information (including minors or concentrations) is correct. Contact your advisor to get your degree information corrected.