Affiliate Faculty share an interest and enthusiasm for the Center's mission, conduct tourism research activities in conjunction with the Center, serve as thesis advisors and members, and mentor students working on sustainable tourism related research.
Policy and Planning
David I. Edgell
Department of Hospitality Management
College of Human Ecology
East Carolina University
Rivers RW 325
Greenville, NC 27858
Community Outreach Interests
As a professor of tourism, an international consultant on global tourism solutions, and a researcher, he has considerable interest in the past, present, and future development of tourism. Edgell is researching and examining best practices for tourism development in communities.
Dr. Edgell has been dedicated to conducting quality multidisciplinary research focusing on issues relevant to tourism policy and planning, tourism development, sustainable tourism, and tourism management. In these research areas he has produced books, monographs, book chapters, journal articles and other presentations.
Notable Book Publications
- David L. Edgell, Sr., The Worldly Travelers; manuscript completed in 2011; in progress towards publication.
- David L. Edgell, Sr., et al, Tourism Policy and Planning: Yesterday, Today, & Tomorrow, Elsevier Publishers, London, England 2008.
- David L. Edgell, Sr., Ph.D., Managing Sustainable Tourism: A Legacy for the Future, The Haworth Press, Inc., New York 2006.
- David L. Edgell, Sr. and Pamela Lanier, Eco-Travel and Sustainable Tourism, Ten Speed Press, Berkeley, California, 2003.
- David L. Edgell, Sr., Ph.D., Best Practices Guidebook for International Tourism and Attractions Development for Rural Communities, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah, 2002.
- David L. Edgell, Sr., Ph.D., Tourism Policy: The Next Millennium, Sagamore Publishing, Champaign, Illinois, 1999.
- David L. Edgell, Sr., Ph.D. and R. Todd Haenisch, Coopetition: Global Tourism beyond the Millennium, International Policy Publishing, Kansas City, Missouri, 1995.
- David L. Edgell, Sr., Ph.D. and David L. Edgell, Jr., Selected Readings in International Tourism Policy, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, 1991.
- David L. Edgell, Sr., Ph.D. and David L. Edgell, Jr., Tourism
Policy: Course Workbook, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 1991.
- David L. Edgell, Sr., Ph.D., International Tourism Policy, published by Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, NY, 1990.