Affiliate Faculty share an interest and enthusiasm for the Center's mission, conduct tourism research activities in conjunction with the Center, serve as thesis advisors and members, and mentor students working on sustainable tourism related research.
Adventure and Rural Tourism
Paige P. Schneider, PhD
Center for Sustainable Tourism
East Carolina University
Recreation and Leisure Studies Department
1405 Belk Building–300 Curry Court
Greenville, NC 27858
Community Outreach Interests
My interests lie in the area consumer behavior and tourism, specifically adventure and ecotourism. I have over 12 years experience of travel industry management which offers me valuable insight and an understanding of the importance of translating research into practical application for the tourism industry. I have worked with organizations such as the Adventure Travel Trade Association (ATTA), Sustainable Travel International (STI), and Conservation International conducting research of both the supply side (providers of tourism goods and services) and demand side (consumers/travelers) of the tourism industry. As a long-time participant and advocate of adventure and ecotourism, I believe these types of travel experiences promote cultural understanding, fulfill personal dreams, and encourage environmental sustainability.
- Schneider, P. P., Latkova, P., & Vogt, C. A. (2008). Consumers' need for uniqueness: Seeking the trait through adventure travel. Travel and Tourism Research Association.
- Schneider, P. P., & Vogt, C. A. (2008). Soft vs. hard adventure travelers: A profile of "Dream it. Plan it. Do it." Presented at Northeast Recreation Research Symposium, Bolton Landing, New York.
- Schneider, P. P., & Vogt, C. A. (2007). Travel career approach to adventure tourist motivation. Presented at Northeast Recreation Research Symposium, Bolton Landing, New York.
- Schneider, P. P., Jogaratnam, G., Kim, K., & Oh, I. (2007). Male and female tourists' destination selection: An insight from the youth market. The 62nd Conference of Tourism Sciences Society of Korea.
- Schneider, P. P., & Vogt, C. A. (2006). Defining adventure travel with consumers' perception of image & benefits. Northeast Recreation Research Symposium.
- Schneider, P. P., Vogt, C. A. , & Smith, S. W. (2006). Segmenting the adventure travel market: An extension of Sung, Morrison, & O'Leary. Travel and Tourism Research Association.
- RCLS3120: Introduction to Commercial Recreation & Tourism
- RCLS2000: Introduction to Leisure Services
- RCLS3122: Case Studies in Leisure Management
- RCLS4004: Current Issues in Leisure
- RCLS 6104: Sustaining Human Societies and the Natural Environment: Australia/Fiji study abroad program