What should I do if I experience, witness or am accused of sexual misconduct? Follow the links below for:


What should I do if I experience, witness or am accused of sexual misconduct? Follow the links below for:

ECU Policies
Additional information

What is Title IX?

Title IX, formally known as Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, mandates that no person shall be excluded from participation in or discriminated against on the basis of sex in programs or activities at educational institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Acts of sexual violence, harassment and/or misconduct are forms of sex discrimination. The U.S. Department of Education maintains an Office for Civil Rights to enforce Title IX and ensure that institutions comply with Title IX.

"No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance..." 20 U.S.C. § 1681

What does Title IX mean to me?

Title IX is commonly referenced in three topic areas in higher education: athletics (gender equity across sports), STEM (gender equity across the science, engineering, technology and math) and sexual misconduct.

This web site focuses on services, resources and education related to sexual misconduct at ECU. Sexual misconduct is a form of sex discrimination and it includes sexual harassment, sexual abuse, rape, sexual assault, sexual battery and sexual coercion. Learn more about these terms and definitions in the Title IX Glossary.

If you are an ECU student, faculty or staff member and experience sexual misconduct, the University has a system of care and support to provide you with assistance.  Filing a Title IX complaint is not the same as filing a police report.  The Title IX complaint form is the best way for ECU to provide you with the services, resources and support available at the University.

Untitled Document

What if I don't want to file a complaint?

A complaint form is one of the options, but it is not the only option. ECU offers confidential services to provide advice, guidance and support to you. Filing a complaint can still be an option later, but contacting the property university resource as soon as possible is very important.

What should I do if I am a victim of sexual misconduct?

For immediate assistance following sexual assault, rape and/or sexual violence:

  1. Call 911.

  2. Contact the ECU Police Department at 252-328-6787.

  3. Seek medical attention as soon as possible at Student Health Services at 252-328-6841 during regular business hours or Vidant Medical Center at 252-847-4100 at any time.

Find additional steps to follow if you have experienced or witnessed an incident of sexual misconduct using the links below:

Reporting Resources 

LaKesha Alston Forbes, Title IX Coordinator
Associate Provost for Equity & Diversity, Office for Equity & Diversity
Old Cafeteria Building, Suite G-406, Greenville, NC 27858
Phone: (252) 328‑6804     Email:

The Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities
364 Wright Building, Greenville, NC 27858
Phone: (252) 328-6824      Email: