The WAC Academy seeks to develop a community of instructors of writing. The WAC Academy is open to all instructors at ECU, across all disciplines. During the Academy, participants have time to read and write, prepare demonstrations of research-based model lessons involving writing, and talk to colleagues about techniques they have used successfully to help their students become better writers and thinkers.
Modeled on the National Writing Project, the WAC Academy maintains these primary goals for its participants:
- Encourage a better understanding of writing processes, assessment issues, methods, and new literacy technologies;
- Develop more effective writing curricula and assignments;
- Improve students' writing abilities by improving our teaching of writing;
- Provide professional development programs for WI instructors; and
- Expand the role of WI course instructors at ECU.
For more information on the new WAC Academy, contact its director, Kerri Flinchbaugh.
After the Academy is over, participants are encouraged to stay active in WAC through WAC Academy activities, including opportunities to collaborate on professional development activities, workshops, and presentations.