OWL: Synchronous Appointments
Procedures for Using the OWL: Synchronous Appointments
Navigate to: http://ecu.mywconline.com. If this is your first visit, you will need to register with our new appointment system. Click the registration link and fill out the on-screen form. Use your student email to make your account.
1. After you have registered, or if you had previously registered, login with your email and password. Make sure the drop-down menu on the login screen says "Online Writing Lab" or "OWL." The other schedules will not allow you to upload papers.
2. Once you have logged in, you will see an appointment screen. Double-click on a free appointment (colored white) and fill in the form to schedule your appointment.
Remember - it is necessary for you to attend the appointment online. Please log in 5-10 minutes before your appointment time.
3. Once you have selected an appointment, there will be an information form for you to fill out. This is to help us understand your writing assignment. Your name should automatically appear next to the word "client." The name listed by "resource" is the consultant that will be helping you with your paper.
It is essential that you provide us with your instructor's name and email so (if requested) a report can be sent to him/her. Additionally, please provide the due date of your assignment (e.g. January 23, 2013 or 01/23/13), as well as specific concerns, problems, and questions that you would like us to address in your paper so that we can be of as much assistance as possible. There are spaces on the form to help you provide all the necessary information. Once you have filled out the form, click the Save Appointment button.
4. Click "CLOSE WINDOW" to complete the scheduling process.
5. When you log back in to WCOnline to start your appointment, click on your appointment time, then select "Start or Join Online Consultation." Your paper can be uploaded to the whiteboard space by clicking the import/export button in the upper right hand corner (button with two arrows). After selecting a document, click the "Upload Now" button. The consultant will now be able to view and make comments on your assignment.
During the appointment, you can add content to the paper in the main window, and chat with the consultant through the window on the lower right.
After your appointment, you can replay the content using the clock button ("timeslider") to review the process of your appointment. This can be accessed any time by logging in to WCOnline, selecting the appointment, and clicking on "Start or Join Online Consultation" - it will not restart the appointment, but you can see the content of the appointment.