Model 1: WI Courses Emphasizing Academic Writing
This model employs the kinds of writing tasks most often required of students in college and taught in the English 1100 and 1200 sequence. These tasks include research papers, essays in various modes, summaries and abstracts of texts, critiques of texts, and various kinds of reports.
Students should write a minimum of 20 to 25 pages of edited academic writing in a writing-intensive course. The following academic writing assignments or variations of them would be acceptable uses of academic writing in a WI course:
- 1 research paper of 10-15 pages, written in multiple drafts, and 2 short "preparation" papers such as summaries, critiques, and syntheses of source materials (5-7 pages each)
- OR, 4-5 short papers (of 5 pages each), in multiple drafts, summarizing, critiquing, or synthesizing course reading materials
- OR, 2 book reviews, 2 journal article reviews, in multiple drafts, and a short position paper based upon the reviews
- OR, 4-5 short papers in rhetorical modes (e.g., one description, one comparison/contrast, one personal experience, one opinion, and one persuasion)
- OR, any other comparable assignments totaling approximately 20-25 pages of edited academic writing.