Three types of faculty appointments are governed by the Academic Affairs and Health Sciences Divisions at ECU.
- Fixed-Term Appointments. Fixed-term appointees do not hold professorial ranks, but are appointed with the following titles: teaching instructor, teaching assistant professor, teaching associate professor, teaching professor, research instructor, research assistant professor, research associate professor, research professor, clinical instructor, clinical assistant professor, clinical associate professor, clinical professor, visiting instructor, artist in residence, writer in residence, adjunct instructor, adjunct assistant professor, adjunct associate professor, and adjunct professor. Fixed-term faculty members may be paid or unpaid, per letter of appointment. Fixed-term appointments are without permanent tenure and do not entitle the faculty member to consideration for reappointment or conferral of permanent tenure. The term of appointment in the appointment letter, and the letter of appointment, constitute full and timely notice that a new term will not be granted when that term expires.
- Probationary Appointments and Reappointments. Probationary appointments are made at the professorial ranks of instructor, assistant professor, associate professor, or professor. Probationary appointees are entitled to reappointment reviews and, if reappointed throughout the probationary period, are entitled to a tenure review.
- Appointments with Permanent Tenure. Academic tenure refers to the conditions and guarantees that apply to a faculty member's professional development. Tenure protects a faculty member against involuntary suspension or discharge from employment or reduction in rank except upon specified grounds and in accordance with the procedures provided in Part IX, Section I (VI.) of the ECU Faculty Manual; or against termination of employment except as provided for in Part IX, Section I (VII.) of the ECU Faculty Manual.
Recruitment and Employment
The Office of HR EPA Personnel Administration strives to ensure exceptional customer service in recruitment and staffing activities for candidates and hiring departments. In collaboration with the Divisions and the Office of Equity and Diversity, we assist with recruitment and employment for EPA Non-Faculty, EPA Faculty, and SAAO positions.
For Search Committees and Hiring Officials
EPA Recruitment Compliance Review Process
Guidelines for the Use of Search Firms
Guide for Interviewing an Applicant with Disabilities
Guidelines for Non-Discriminatory Interviewing
Table of Comparison of SPA and EPA Positions
The University offers a variety of employment opportunities for Faculty, EPA Non-Faculty, Senior Academic and Administrative Officers, Staff, and temporary positions. Position vacancies of all types are listed at the link below. East Carolina University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- Click on EPA Faculty or Non-Faculty Positions
- Log in or create a new account
Employee Relations for Non-Faculty EPA and SAAO
The Assistant Vice Chancellor for Human Resources can assist employees and managers with questions on workplace issues. Consultations can be arranged by contacting the Office of EPA Personnel Administration. Whether the issue is simple or complex--we can help you navigate the situation.
Employee Resources Program
From financial pressures to workplace stress and family dealings, life can be challenging. If you need help with life issues, the East Carolina University Employee Resources Program is available. The ERP is a confidential counseling and resource program that is designed to help university employees and their families deal with both personal and work-related concerns. All permanent employees and their dependents are eligible. The initial consultation is a free service to eligible employees.