Building Leadership Capacity for the Members of East Carolina University
Candidates will be evaluated on the following selection criteria:
- Demonstrated leadership capacity
- Demonstrated record of success in increasingly responsible positions in higher education.
- Demonstrated commitment to professional development and personal growth, coupled with proven ability to apply learning for enhanced performance and success.
- Letters of recommendation and endorsement of academy participation from current supervisor and completion of the Supervisor Statement of Support
- Ability to commit to being a fully engaged participant in the Leadership Academy and to attend at least 80% of the sessions.
Applications are screened to ensure candidates meet the requirements for the Academy. Please note, participation in the Chancellor’s Leadership Academy does not guarantee future positions in leadership.
Application and Recommendation
- Staff and faculty members may be nominated or may self nominate.
- Submit an application for the Chancellor’s Leadership Academy online.
- The application to the Chancellor’s Leadership Academy will not be complete until the Supervisor Statement of Support and a letter of recommendation from a direct supervisor or department chair is received.
- Participants must also summit two additional letters of recommendations submitted by others in a leadership position that can provide supplementary information related to their skills and work experience.
The four-month Leadership Academy consists of a minimum of ten (10) classes/meetings, special sessions with noted leaders and electronic discussions. Each meeting will include principles of leadership and key functions of university positions as described and practiced at ECU. Participants will engage in case study approach, open dialogue to address special topics and issues relevant to women and minorities. Some sessions may be taught using electronic means e.g. teleconferencing, Blackboard. In addition, each participant may have approximately two hours of preparation for every hour in class.