ECU Logo
Welcome to Financial Services at East Carolina University
Higher One-ECU Debit Card

Financial Services


Higher One-ECU Debit Card Frequently Asked Questions

Your Refunds Are Easier With The ECU Higher One Card


The ECU Higher One Card signifies your status as an active student at East Carolina University and provides you options on how to receive your financial refund.


How are ECU refunds delivered to students?

Each registered East Carolina University student will receive an ECU Higher One Card. Your card will arrive in the mail at your primary address on file with the University. To receive your refund, you must authenticate your ECU Higher One Card. During this process, you will choose how to receive your refund money. If you want faster access to your funds, simply choose to have your refunds deposited directly into your ECU OneAccount.  Authenticate your ECU Higher One Card and make your refund  selection online at


What are my options for receiving financial aid or other refunds?

Your options include having your refund:

1. Directly deposited to your ECU OneAccount

(1 day or less).

2. Deposited to another bank of your choice

(2 – 3 business days).

3. Mailed, as a paper check, to the address you designate

(5 – 7 business days).


The ECU OneAccount? What’s that?

The ECU OneAccount is a full functioning FDIC insured FREE CHECKING account that allows you to access your refunds quicker and easier than ever before. The ECU OneAccount has no minimum balance, no monthly fees, and free Internet banking features. With it, you can use your ECU Debit Card to make purchases anywhere Debit MasterCard is accepted. You can also get cash with no fee at a Higher One ATM located on each campus.


What are the advantages of having my refunds deposited directly to my ECU OneAccount?

1. Depositing your refund to your ECU OneAccount is the quickest way to gain access to your money. In order to have your refund directly deposited, authenticate your ECU OneAccount as soon as you can. If you expect to receive financial aid, and your ECU charges have been paid, remaining funds will be released by the University and directly deposited to your ECU OneAccount.

2. You can use the ECU Higher One Card as a debit card (NOT A CREDIT CARD) to make purchases at all Debit MasterCard locations, access cash at an ATM, pay bills, send money electronically and so much more.

3. There is no charge to you for receiving your refund directly in your ECU OneAccount. There is no monthly fee or minimum balance for the OneAccount.


Are there Higher One ATM’s located on campus?

Yes, there are three ATM’s located on campus.  There is no fee to OneAccount holders.

1. Mendenhall Hall Student Center (near Bowling Alley)

2. Jones Dorm (near The Galley)

3. Medical School Campus Cashier Office


How will I know when my financial aid or other refund has been directly deposited to my ECU OneAccount?

You will receive an e-mail when your financial aid refund or any refund has been directly deposited to your ECU OneAccount. Additionally, you will be able to see details of your ECU OneAccount by accessing your ECU OneAccount Statement on the website.


Can I have my refund deposited to another bank account?

If you prefer, you may have your financial aid refund or other refunds deposited to the bank of your choice. In order to have your refund deposited to your bank, you must first authenticate your ECU Higher One Card as soon as you receive it at For this option, you will need to complete, print and mail the third party form to the designated address.  The form is available on the Web site.


Can I select a paper check instead?

You may choose to have a paper check sent to you via regular mail. However, a paper check may take up to 5-7 days from the day the University releases the funds. Regardless of how you choose to receive your funds, you still need to authenticate your card at


Why is the Debit MasterCard logo on the new ECU Higher One Card?

The ECU Debit Card is the card you use to access your funds if you choose to accept the ECU OneAccount. With the Debit MasterCard logo on it, you can use the card as a debit card wherever Debit MasterCard is accepted. The card is NOT a credit card. It is a DEBIT card.


Is this my Student ID Card?

No. You have an official ECU picture ID Card provided by the University. This serves as your personal identification for all University related activities.


Will this card replace my One Card/student identification card?




Why do I have to authenticate the card that was mailed to me?


The card that was mailed to you is the key to get into the Higher One system and allows you to make your choice as to how you want to receive your student refunds.    Information is contained in the system to authenticate you as a user.  Once you use the card to enter into the system, you can make your choice of how you want your refunds received.


Who do I contact if I lose my card?


For your own security, as soon as you realize that you do not have physical control of your card, it is essential that you report the card lost. This may be done several ways. You may go online to, call customer service at 1-866-663-1313, or visit the ECU cashier office. Your report allows Higher One to cancel the card and prevent fraud, theft, and abuse. At the same time we will issue you a replacement card.


Do I still have the option to get a paper check at the cashier’s office ?


You will no longer pick your check up at the Cashiers Office.   If we continued the paper check process as in the past, the students would still have to stand in lines to pick up their check.  The Higher One option allows you to have direct deposit to your bank, the debit card option or a paper check mailed to you, these are your choices.


If I choose to receive my student refund by direct deposit to my current bank account, why do I have to mail the direct deposit to Higher One?

Your direct deposit form communicates in writing your authorization to Higher One to deposit funds into your personal bank account.  An original signature is required as an added security precaution for refund delivery under Higher One Policy.  An option is to drop your form in one of two locked Higher One communication boxes.  Forms will be shipped overnight to Higher One at no cost to students.  Letters, documents and deposits placed in these boxes are frequently over-nighted to Higher One corporate offices for processing.  The communication boxes are located in the Main Campus and School of Medicine cashier offices.  In the interest of time, you may also fax your form directly to Higher One at 1-866-309-7443. 


What are Higher One Communication boxes and where are they located?


Higher One Communication boxes are secure drop boxes located on campus.  You can forward deposits (no cash), direct deposit forms or other correspondence to Higher One.  Several times a week the materials in the drop box are securely mailed by overnight express mail to Higher One by DHL carriers. 


Higher One Communication boxes are located in the Main Campus Cashier office and the Medical School Campus Cashier office. 


What if I have additional questions?

For more information about the ECU Higher One Card and refunds, please visit The Higher One student help desk can be reached at 1-866-663-1313.  Or, if you prefer, contact the Cashier’s Office on campus.