Hurricane Matthew



Community service leave use for ECU staff/faculty
In recognition of the State's diverse needs for volunteers to support schools, communities, citizens, and non-profit organizations, and recognizing the commitment of State employees to engage in volunteer service, Community Service Leave, within the parameters outlined below, may be granted to:
•    parents for child involvement in the schools (as defined below)

•    any employee for volunteer activity in the schools or in a Community Service Organization (as defined below), or

•    any employee for tutoring and mentoring in the schools, or

•    any employee for volunteering in a State of North Carolina Public University, Community College System or State agency provided that the service is outside of the employee's normal scope of duties and responsibilities and that the employee is not receiving any form of compensation for the services rendered.

To encourage State employees to be engaged in their community, OSHR teamed up with the North Carolina State Employees Combined Campaign to create a volunteer database. Employees can search the list for volunteering opportunities that fits their interest and get involved with charity organizations that appeal to them.

In addition, there are special guidelines outlined at the end of this policy for Emergency Services, Blood and Bone Marrow Donorship and Disaster Service Volunteer with the American Red Cross. A Volunteer Database exists to highlight the many community service opportunities available.


If you have non-emergency questions, please call the ECU Call Center at 252-737-5100.
For information regarding the Disaster Recovery Center, please contact the Dean of Students Office at 252-328-9297.

If you have an emergency, please call 911 or ECU Police at 252-328-6150.

 As we continue to deal with the aftermath of severe flooding in parts of the Greenville community, and other areas throughout North Carolina, ECU will open a Disaster Recovery Center to aid affected students and employees.

Under the leadership of Dr. Lynn Roeder, the Recovery Center will open Tuesday, October 18 from 10:00am – 7:00pm in the Willis Building for ECU students and employees. Operations will continue through Friday, October 21 at which time it will then be determined if the center needs to operate the week of October 24.

The departments and offices that will be represented in the Recovery Center include:

Campus Living/Off Campus Student Services
Center for Counseling and Student Development
Dean of Students Office
Dowdy Student Store
ECU Police Department
Financial Aid Office
Cashier’s Office
Parking & Transportation Services
Red Cross
Student Health Services
Students will also receive assistance in completing online forms for FEMA.

For additional information or to volunteer at the Disaster Recovery Center, please contact the Dean of Students Office at 252-328-9297.

1. There are shelters open in the county. 

2. There are hotels with limited vacancies in the area. 
3. Work with the Dean of Students Office for short-term displacement: 

Call (252) 328-9297 and have your Banner ID and provide your current local address. The Dean of Students will work with the Campus Living Neighborhood Service Office to assign a vacant residence hall room. Displaced students should bring their ECU One Card, a pillow, toiletries, medications and clothes/supplies for 4-5 days. Students are not permitted to bring alcohol, weapons, tobacco/e-cigarettes, or pets. 

4. Local apartment complexes are offering one month leases to displaced students:
For example, The Bellamy is offering flexible lease dates for those evacuating.  Call 252-321-7662 for more information. 
5. Returning to your residence, if located in the mandatory evacuation zones:
Once flood waters recede to the stage where teams can inspect structures, inspections will be made prior to allowing occupants and owners to re-enter the area to make sure that flooded structures are safe for entry. 
For City of Greenville residents, please see this document with additional information.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has announced details for Greenville homeowners, renters, and business owners to register for federal disaster assistance if they experienced loss or damages as a result of Hurricane Matthew.

You may register online at, by downloading the FEMA mobile app, or by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). For people using TTY, the number is 1-800-462-7585. These toll-free numbers will operate from 7:00 AM until 11:00 PM (local time) seven days a week until further notice.
Homeowners and renters can apply for grant assistance to help with rent, temporary housing and home repairs to their primary residences, as well as other serious disaster-related needs, such as personal and necessary items, moving and storage expenses, transportation, medical and dental expenses, or funeral and burial reinternment costs caused by the disaster.

Other relief programs include crisis counseling and legal assistance. Individuals should also contact their insurance company to file an insurance claim. FEMA is unable to duplicate insurance payments. However, those without insurance or who may be underinsured may still receive help after their insurance claims have been settled.

Contact NC Volunteer Organization Active in Disasters

A volunteer resource coordinator has been established for Pitt County, linking individuals looking for volunteer opportunities with community groups, churches, and other charitable organizations providing relief efforts.  Individuals interested in volunteering may contact them at 252-902-3676. 

The Students' Treasure Chest at ECU helps support students who may be facing difficulties, including those caused by Hurricane Matthew. You can give online (see link) or email to get in touch with someone who can take your gift over phone. 

Any one interested in volunteering specifically with the local American Red Cross or Salvation Army can visit their webpages (linked here for your convenience).

The Salvation Army will be accepting donations for recovery efforts; at this time those donations need to be limited to cash, toiletries, and canned food goods. 

The Red Cross is seeking nurses and disaster mental health volunteers to assist in shelters; to sign-up visit the link above. You can also donate by visiting, calling 1-800-RED-CROSS, or texting the word MATTHEW to 90999 to make a $10 donation.