ECU News Services
ECU Now Blog
ECU's RENCI/CCSIM Hosts Open House
GREENVILLE, NC (Oct. 24, 2007) — East Carolina University’s high-tech coastal systems research facility, RENCI/CCSIM @ ECU, will host an Open House from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. Nov. 1 at the Rivers Building.
Faculty, staff and students looking to create broader impacts of their research and outreach through cutting edge technology such as the VisWall and the new technology and media equipped RENCI Rover van are invited to attend.
ECU’s Renaissance Computing Institute Center for Coastal Systems Informatics and Modeling – RENCI/CCSIM, for short – comes to ECU as part of a $1.7 million grant from the Chapel Hill-based Renaissance Computing Institute (RENCI).
“The mission of RENCI/CCSIM at ECU is to support research, outreach, and education that improve our understanding and management of the interaction between physical and biological processes and human activities in North Carolina’s Coastal Region,” said director Jamie Brown Kruse.
“We hope the Open House and Workshop is an opportunity for ECU faculty and students to visit the facilities, see the tools in action, and discuss ways that they can partner with the Center to enhance research projects and educational initiatives.”
At the event, Kruse will discuss graduate student-researcher fellowship opportunities with the center and support for educational initiatives developed by faculty for the 2008/2009 academic year.
Refreshments will be served at the open house.
A schedule of Open House events is below:
• 2 p.m., 3 p.m.: Information Session about RENCI/CCSIM with Jamie Brown Kruse in Rivers Bldg., 105
• 2:30 p.m., 3:30 p.m.: Tour the facilities (RENCI Rover van, videoconference room, etc.) with Donna Kain, outreach director and English professor, Rivers Building West
• 3 p.m., 4 p.m.: Visit Visualization Wall (a 20-foot by six-foot high-res projection screen with 3-D capability) with Tom Allen, director of technology, and geography professor, Brewster C201
• 3:30 p.m., 4:30 p.m.: Discuss ideas for research and information session about support opportunities offered by RENCI, Rivers Building West Conference Rooms
• 5 p.m.: Wrap up with Ernie Marshburn, Division of Research and Graduate Studies, Rivers Building West.
For additional information, contact Donna Kain by e-mail (email@example.com) or phone, 252-737-1770. Visit the RENCI/CCSIM website at www.ecu.edu/renci.
ECU News Bureau
East Carolina University
ECU News Services
1001 E. Fifth St.| Greenville, NC 27858 USA | 252.328.6481 |
Report a Barrier