Board of Governors Approves Name Changes
By Crystal Baity
The UNC Board of Governors on Oct. 12 approved a request to change the name of the School of Allied Health Sciences and School of Nursing to the College of Allied Health Sciences and College of Nursing.
Several years ago, the ECU Division of Academic Affairs designated that the schools within that division be recognized as colleges. At the time, no change in status was requested for the schools within the Division of Health Sciences. Recently, the faculty of the schools recommended that their status be changed from school to college.
The College of Allied Health Sciences was established in 1967 as the Life Sciences and Community Health Institute. It is the largest provider of allied health professionals to the state with an enrollment of more than 700 students, of which 61 percent are at the master’s and doctoral levels.
The College of Nursing was established in 1959 and has an enrollment of 1,047 students in baccalaureate, master’s and doctoral nursing programs. ECU is the largest producer of new nursing graduates in the state and offers the only certified nurse midwife program and masters of science in nursing alternate entry program in the state.