Fountain Dedicated on Founders Day
By Christine Neff
A focal point of campus returned to prominence during East Carolina University’s Founders Day celebration March 26.
The Trustees Fountain in Wright Circle, formerly the location of the Wright Fountain, was dedicated before a crowd of ECU trustees, alumni, faculty members, staff and supporters.
|ECU alumnus Garry Dudley ‘92 examines the wall near the new Trustees Fountain that honors ECU trustees. The wall is inscribed with more than 200 names of current and former trustees.
“This is a wonderful tribute to anyone who has ever served as a trustee,” said Bob Greczyn, chair of the board. “This will be place where people can come together and talk about the world.”
Wright Fountain, a campus icon for more than 70 years, had to be dismantled in early 2007 due to structural damages. The original fountain was built in 1932 to honor Robert H. Wright, the first president of East Carolina. In 1951, the fountain was rededicated to honor Martin L. Wright, director of the Department of Social Science who served as chair of the campus beautification committee for 15 years.
In addition to being rebuilt, the new fountain has been renamed in honor of ECU trustees. A plaque that stands nearby names the 202 current and former trustees, recognizing “their years of dedicated service to East Carolina University.”
Work began on the $1.18 million project in September 2008.
Kevin Kane of Davis Kane Architects in Raleigh designed the project. Mark Blackman from RN Rouse in Goldsboro served as contractor. ECU project managers were Nick McKinley and Robert Still, and ECU employees, John Gill, Devin Livi and the grounds department performed landscape design and installation.