Guidelines for Submission
Faculty and staff are encouraged to submit news by e-mail to the editor of Pieces of Eight or by campus mail to Pieces of Eight Editor, News and Communications Services, Howard House. The following guidelines have been adopted to assist readers in determining which news items are suitable for submission.
Pieces of Eight encourages submission of:
- Professional activities and achievements including awards, honors, research, publications, presentations at professional meetings and conferences, and other professional activities.
- Scheduled events including but not limited to lectures, concerts, exhibits, recitals, plays or symposia, either on campus or presented by campus organizations in other locations.
- Annual awards given by the University, including but not limited to teaching awards, advising awards, research awards and service awards.
- Suggestions for news or feature articles. (Unsolicited articles are welcomed but will be used at the editor's discretion).
- News of births, marriages or deaths of ECU faculty and staff.
- Public Service Announcements (PSA's): PSA's such as requests for volunteers in community service or research activities are printed as space allows, with preference given to ECU-related activities. PSA usage is determined on a case-by-case basis.
Pieces of Eight does not encourage and may not print:
- Advertising. Pieces of Eight does not accept real estate notices, items for sale or rent or employment opportunities, including job openings on campus.
- Student or alumni news, unless closely associated with faculty/staff activities. Student activities should be submitted to the student newspaper, The East Carolinian (www.tec.ecu.edu), while alumni news should be submitted to the ECU alumni magazine, The ECU Report (http://www.ecu.edu/cs-admin/mktg/east/Index.cfm).
- Unsolicited photographs. Use of such will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
- Community activities. Activities unrelated to ECU that may be of interest to faculty and staff are printed only if space allows. Preference is given to ECU events.
While the editor of Pieces of Eight retains responsibility for its final content and appearance, it is the goal of the publication to represent adequately and fairly the activities of all ECU faculty and staff. For best results, departments and organizations are encouraged to select a specific contact person responsible for ongoing communication with the editor.