Workers' Compensation Program

The Workers' Compensation Program for East Carolina University is administered by the Office of Environmental Health and Safety in accordance with the provisions of the North Carolina Workers' Compensation Act, the North Carolina Industrial Commission Rules and Regulations, and the North Carolina State Government Workers Compensation Handbook . A Workers' Compensation Manager has been designated in the Office of Environmental health and Safety to be responsible for the effectiveness of processing and monitoring the workers' compensation claims. The University is responsible for accepting employer liability for the State and paying claims. It is the intent of East Carolina University to provide uniform and consistent application of the rules and regulations to be followed in processing workers' compensation claims and also ensure entitled benefits are provided to all affected employees. The program is periodically reviewed by the North Carolina Office of State Human Resources to measure and evaluate the effectiveness of the program and recommend changes to achieve optimum results. Our third-party administrator that reviews all claims for compensability is CorVel Corporation.

Who Can Receive Workers' Compensation Benefits?

Workers' Compensation benefits are available to any full-time, part-time, or temporary employee who suffers an injury or contracts an occupational disease within the meaning of the NC Workers' Compensation Act. The Office of Environmental Health and Safety is responsible to ensure that employees are informed of their entitled rights under the Workers' Act and to provide the medical care needed to help an injured employee reach maximum medical improvement and return to work as soon as possible, as well as, compensate the employee for any disability received due to a compensable injury.

How Do I Report An Injury/Occupational Illness?

  1. The employee must immediately notify their supervisor of the incident, or as soon as possible after the incident occurs. All incident should be reported no matter how minor they appear to be.
  2. The supervisor must immediately report the incident to the Office of Environmental Health and Safety.
  3. If the injury is a non-life threatening situation, i.e. cut, scrape, fall without loss of consciousness and/or serious injury, dizziness, contact the EHS Workers' Compensation Manager and they will schedule medical treatment with ECU Prospective Health, Family Medicine, or another qualified care provider. All medical treatment must be authorized by the Office of Environmental Health and Safety prior to treatment, except when emergency services are necessary (i.e., life threatening situations).
  4. If a life threatening situation, i.e severe allergic reaction, profusely bleeding, loss of consciousness, broken bone, seek medical treatment immediately or contact Emergency Medical Services at 9-1-1. If EMS is not needed, but employee is unable to drive to treatment contact the Office of Environmental Health and Safety for assistance.
  5. If a blood exposure or needle stick, contact Prospective Health (744-2070) for assistance.
  6. After normal work hours or on a weekend, contact ECU Police at 328-6787. They will notify ECU EHS personnel.
  7. ECU EHS will conduct an incident investigation to ensure measures are taken to prevent future injuries or near misses.

Do I Have to Complete Any Forms for Workers' Compensation?

The following forms must be forwarded to the Office of Environmental Health and Safety as soon as possible, but at least within 48 hours of the accident. If the return of documentation is delayed, it could affect the employee's Workers' Compensation benefits. The information provided in these forms will be entered into the third party administrator's (TPA) database, to be reviewed and a determination made if the claim is compensable. CorVel Corporation is our workers' compensation insurance provider.
The forms can be downloaded as an editable pdf ( save to computer first ) or printed as a hard copy. You must hand write your signature on forms, electronic signatures are not permitted. If you need assistance completing the forms, contact EHS.
Medical Treatment Refusal
(if treatment is refused at time of incident)

What About Students?

If a student is injured while conducting assignments or other general duties on campus (classroom, laboratory, etc.) then the student should contact Student Health for medical attention or 9-1-1 if life-threatening injury. They should also complete the Student Statement of Injury Form to ensure documentation of the incident.

What is the Workers' Compensation Leave Policy?

If the employee receives medical treatment, no leave is charged to the day of the injury. The employee must obtain a written work note from the physician indicating if the employee is cleared to return to work or if they have been taken out of work. This document should be presented to the supervisor and communicated to the Workers' Compensation Manager. Employees will not be charged leave time to attend WC doctor's appointments or other approved medical treatments, i.e. physical therapy, acupuncture. Upon completion of the appointment, the employee must report directly to work unless the physician writes the employee out of work, or other arrangements are approved by EHS and the employee's supervisor.

What If I Miss or Am Taken Out of Work?

There is a seven day waiting period before compensation benefits are awarded. During this period, the employee may use sick or vacation leave, if available, or elect to go off the payroll with no pay. After 7 days, the employee is removed from ECU payroll and receives 66 2/3 regular compensation until they return to work.

Leave Options Form (optional)

If you choose Option 3 from the "Leave Options Form", regarding using leave time after the seven day waiting period, review the "Supplemental Leave Schedule" provided below. It explains how much time can be used to supplement workers' compensation weekly benefits. If you have any questions contact the WCM at 328-6166.

Supplemental Leave Schedule

What Happens to My Other Benefits?

Please note, no other ECU Human Resources Benefits will continue, i.e. dental or vision insurances, retirement service credit if employee remains out of work past the 7-day waiting period. Contact ECU Human Resources at 328-9847 to discuss your benefits.

Vacation, sick leave and longevity pay will continue while the employee is out on Workers' Compensation. Any performance increases from legislature will be awarded to employee's salary upon reinstatement.

Do I Report Near Misses?

YES. A "close call" or "near miss" is an incident that does not result in injury or illness. Employees should report all "close calls" or "near misses" to their supervisor. Supervisors should then report these "close calls" or "near misses" to the Office of Environmental Health and Safety. Accident prevention must be emphasized instead of reactionary measures to help prevent actual incidents.

What If There is a Fatality, Hospitalization, Amputation or Loss of an Eye?

Reporting Fatalities, Inpatient Hospitalizations, Work Related Amputations, and Work Related Losses of an Eye

  • Job related fatalities that occur within 30 days of a work related incident shall be reported to the North Carolina Department of Labor within eight (8) hours of incident notification.
  • For any inpatient hospitalization of 1 or more employees, any work related amputation, and any work related losses of an eye, which are recordable occupational injuries or illnesses as defined in 29 CFR 1904.12 shall be reported by employers within 24 hours.
  • All notifications are to be made to ECU EHS (252-328-6166) during normal office hours, and to ECU Police (252-328-6150) during non-office hours. ECU Police will then contact the on-call EHS representative. The following information will be requested: Location and time of incident, number of fatalities or hospitalized personnel, contact person and phone number, and brief description of the incident.

How do I Return to Work?

There 3 scenarios in which an employee on WC leave may return to work:

  • The employee has reached maximum medical improvement (MMI) and has been released to return to work by their treating physician; the employee returns to the original or similar position held prior to injury.
  • The employee has not reached maximum medical improvement, but is ready to return to limited or transitional work with the approval of the treating physician. All temporary transitional work is subject to the availability of such work.
  • The employee has reached maximum medical improvement and has been released by the treating physician, but has received a disability that prohibits employment in the previous position. The University will attempt to place the employee in another position that is suitable to the employee's capacity to work, which is both meaningful and productive. If a suitable position is not available with the University, the employee will be referred to the Office of State Personnel for re-employment assistance and possible return to work in another State agency.

What if I have Questions or Concerns?

Questions regarding workers' compensation claims should be directed to the Workers' Compensation Manager with the Office of Environmental Health and Safety at 252-328-6166.

If questions are not answered to your satisfaction, you may call the North Carolina Industrial Commission at 1-800-688-8349 or 919-733-0345. Assistance is available to unrepresented claimants, employers, and other parties to enable them to protect their rights. In addition, the North Carolina Industrial Commission ( WC Information Specialist , formerly Ombudsman Section) can answer questions pertaining to all aspects of Workers' Compensation.