Discovery of Suspicious Packages or Substances
Individuals who discover suspicious packages, powders or liquids should take the following steps:
Do not shake or empty the contents of a suspicious package or envelope.
Do not carry a package or envelope.
- Do not show a suspicious substance or package to others, or allow others to examine them.
- Do not sniff, touch, taste, or look closely at the package or suspicious substance.
- Put the package or envelope on a stable surface.
- Wash hands with soap and water to prevent spreading potentially infectious material to face or skin.
- Alert others in the area about the suspicious package or envelope. Leave the area, close any doors, and take actions to prevent others from entering the area.
- Call ECU Police at 911 and describe the situation.
- Isolate, in a safe area, individuals who may have been exposed until they are cleared to leave by law enforcement, public health, or emergency response personnel.
Create a list of persons who may have been exposed to the substance.