Please do not delete this element or the one below. This element will only be displayed in author mode.
To turn the alert below on or off, follow these steps
Communicable DiseaseLiveSafe App
Clinical Staff Safety
Fire and Life SafetySafety Reps & Building Administrators
Chemical and Hazardous Waste
Contaminated Surplus Property
Animals on Campus
Workers' Compensation Program
Personal Protective Equipment
Leather or cryogen gloves must be used to handle dry ice. Cover exposed skin that may be exposed during handling (long sleeves, long pants). Use safety glasses and face shield when breaking up block ice.
A brief encounter with dry ice is harmless. Longer contact may produce a freeze burn by freezing skin cells. If the burn causes redness only, it will heal in time as any other burn. If the burn blisters or peels, seek medical attention.
Dry Ice will sublimate to carbon dioxide. The gas is heavier than air and will accumulate in low areas of the space. Open the room to allow appropriate mixing. Do not enter or place your face near any pits, sump areas or other confined low spots in the room.
Leave in a well ventilated area or ducted fume hood. Dry ice will sublimate to carbon dioxide gas.