- Classification of chemical hazards
- Standardized approach to Safety Data Sheets (formerly known as Material Safety Data Sheets)
- New labeling requirements for chemical containers.
Benefits of GHS:
- Enhance comprehension of hazards
- More hazard information on labels
- Easier to find information on SDS
- Single set of criteria for information from manufacturers
GHS was a multi-year process, which involved many different countries, international organizations and stakeholder groups. The GHS improves the safety of employees by providing more efficient and effective chemical hazard information. The standardization of chemical hazard information around the world ensures all pertinent knowledge is included on the labels and Safety Data Sheets (SDS). This system will enable faculty, staff, students, health professionals, and emergency respondents to access the most current data on chemical hazards they are in contact.