What is the Shelton Leadership Challenge?
The Shelton Leadership Challenge @ ECU is a six-day residential experience to help students expand their knowledge and skills of what it takes to be a leader. Students will participate in activities that will help them have a greater understanding for: Personal Leadership Assessment and Interpersonal Dynamics; Role of Values and Ethics in Leadership; Leadership Traits and Approaches; Teambuilding and Empowering Others; Civic and Social Responsibility; and Goal Setting.
Students also have the opportunity to participate in team building activities, low and high ropes courses, a service project, and fun night activities to help students get to know others participating in the program.
The Shelton Leadership Challenge @ ECU seeks youth who are going into the 9th to 12th grades (graduating seniors included) with a 3.0 grade point average (unweighted) or higher. Cost to attend the program is $575 for the week.
The Shelton Leadership Challenge @ ECU seeks to provide hands-on activities that assist youth to become more confident leaders back in their communities.
Expected outcomes of the Shelton Leadership Challenge @ ECU
- Model General Hugh Shelton's values-based leadership principles and traits inclusive of honesty, integrity, compassion, social responsibility and diversity.
- Assess baselined leadership skills and preferred practices using Kouzes and Posner's "Leadership Practices Inventory" and a 360 degree reflective model with the incorporation of assigned leadership roles and responsibilities during the week.
- Identify important leadership traits and competencies such as interpersonal skills, leadership styles, needs and skills assessment, teamwork, goal orientation, motivating others, personal presence and public speaking, ethical decision making and changing behaviors.
- Engage in a youth-adult mentoring civic engagement model to enhance appreciation for social responsibility and intergenerational respect. Develop and practice skills related to self and team reflection to better understand deeper meanings while relating current experiences to future applications with the ultimate intent of continuous personal-quality improvement.
- Prepare a leadership self-development plan for accomplishment of short-term objectives and life-long goals.