Apply to Serve on Shelton Staff
The Shelton Leadership Challenge @ ECU has a three-person staffing model: Peer Leader, Coach, Mentor, Trainer (CMT), and Facilitator/Instructor.
- The Peer Leader position is available to youth who have previously attended the Shelton Challenge and have at least a 3.0 grade point average.
- The CMT position is available to youth who have previously served as a Peer Leader for at least two years or students who have at least completed his or her first year in college.
- The Facilitator/Instructor position is available to adults who have a passion to work with youth and college students instructing with a collaborative experiential pedagogy model.
Staff applications may now be submitted online (preferred), by mail or e-mail (email@example.com). Follow the steps below to apply.
Staff Selection Process
- Step 1: Complete application (online or download the PDF)
- Step 2: Peer leaders - ask two people to complete references (online or download the PDF)
- Step 3: Return all application materials (if applicable) to:
- Mailing address: ECU, OIED; Attn: ECU Shelton Challenge; Willis Building; 300 E. First Street, Greenville, NC 27858
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Step 4: ECU will contact applicant via email for next steps
Those applying to serve as a PL or CMT may participate in an on-site exercise (very similar to the leadership reaction exercises we have during the week experience). Instructors will serve as evaluators during the activities for the selection process
If you are not able to participate in the staff selection exercise, you are still eligible. However, it is very helpful for us to be able to observe how you have continued to develop your leadership skills since the summer.
Individuals applying to serve as a Facilitator/Instructor will be individually contacted on an ongoing basis upon receipt of application.
All applicants will be notified of their status for the position by mid-March.
Those who are offered to serve in a staff position for 2015 will need to notify us of accepting the position by the beginning of April.
The Shelton Leadership Challenge @ ECU will be July 12-17, 2015 with staff training in April/May (TBD) and July 11. If selected for a staff position, both staff training sessions will be required.
- Online PL Application – Due January 23, 2015
- Online PL Reference Form
- Online CMT Application – Due January 23, 2015
- Online Facilitator/Instructor Application – Due March 15, 2015