Our Priorities > Engaged Students and Scholarship
Priority 2: Foster a community of engaged students and scholarship
Our goals for Priority 2:
- Establish an Engagement and Outreach Scholars Academy to increase faculty knowledge, motivation and capacity to conduct rigorous engaged scholarship in ways that support their academic success – research, publications, promotion and tenure.
- In collaboration with faculty and university leaders, facilitate continued dialogue of faculty roles, responsibilities, and rewards.
- Host an annual recognition and awards event to showcase and support faculty and student achievement in innovation, outreach, service, and engaged scholarship, as well as recognize outstanding external partners.
- Provide strategic institutional investments for scholarship and creative activities to leverage human resources.
- Earmark internal funding for faculty fellowships to enable scholarly involvement in economic and community development activities.
- Establish engagement and outreach seed grant funds.
- Provide leadership to obtain the Carnegie foundation new "Engaged University" classification for ECU in 2008.
- Establish a comprehensive public relations strategy that effectively markets the services of the OEIED to the campus and external communities.
- Promote the economic and community development contributions of each of the colleges to external stakeholders including citizens, companies, and the legislature.
- Establish an ECU Economic Transformation Council to address ECU and UNC System economic transformation issues.
- Provide leadership in developing and implementing ECU's response to the UNC Tomorrow Commission's major findings and recommendations.