All state vehicles should be fueled with Unleaded Regular gas ONLY, with one exception. Vehicles designated as Alternative Fuel Vehicles (has an AFV sticker on one of the vehicle windows) can be fueled with E-85, when available.
When returning the vehicle to the CMP lot at the end of your trip, please be sure to leave at least 1/4 of a tank of gas to accommodate the next driver. Please use the following instructions when fueling the vehicle. Options are listed in order of suggested preference. These instructions are also included in your Travel Packet materials.
Option 1: NCDOT gas pump pro-key. The pro-key is identified by a silver ID tag attached to the key which is stamped with numbers identifying the vehicle (be advised that the ECU gas pro-key also has ECU stamped on it do designate it as a separate key). This pro-key can be used at NC Department of Transportation gas pumps located throughout the state of North Carolina. Locations are detailed in area maps located inside the NC Motor Fleet Management regulations manual in the glove compartment of the vehicle. The manual can also be found at the NC Motor Fleet Management website. Utilizing one of these pumps should be your first fueling choice when available.
How to use the pro-key:
- Insert key into the Key Reader slot on the Gas Pump terminal.
- If prompted for an ID number - Enter the last four digits of the license plate number.
- Enter the current mileage when prompted.
- If there are multiple pumps, a pump number may need to be entered.
- Some pumps may be designated as E-85. If the vehicle is an Alternative Fuel Vehicle, please use the E-85 pump to fuel the vehicle.
Option 2: The ECU gas pump pro-key. The pro-key is identified by a brass tag attached to the key which is stamped with ECU and the vehicle number (be advised that the NCDOT pro-key is a separate key and does not have ECU stamped on it). This pro-key can only be used at ECU gas pumps, located at the FS/Steam Plant on 14th Street (East Campus) and at the Health Sciences FS/Utilities Plant on North Campus Loop (West Campus).
How to use the pro-key:
- Insert key into the Key Reader slot at the Gas Pump terminal.
- Enter 256201 when prompted for an ID number.
- Type in the vehicle's odometer reading and press Enter. If prompted to re-enter odometer reading, repeat this step.
- When prompted remove the key and re-insert into Key Reader slot.
- Type the Pump Number when prompted and press Enter.
Option 3: The Wright Express gas card. This card is a blue credit-like card with the Wright Express logo printed on it and is located in the glove compartment of the vehicle. Because of the size and extensive traveler use of the card, searching the contents of the glove compartment or surrounding areas may be necessary to find the card. This card can be used at most major commercial gas stations (a list of participating companies is provided in your Travel Packet materials).
How to use the Wright Express Gas Card:
- DO NOT PREPAY for gas with this card!! You are not allowed to accept any change if you do not fill the tank to the extent of the prepaid amount. If the situation is urgent and the card cannot be used properly, then personal funds can be used and the traveler reimbursed at cost by the state of NC.
- DO NOT USE this card to pay for fuel for any other vehicle except for the one to which it is assigned!!
- We advise that you use a Pay-at-Pump gas pump.
- Swipe the card. The card is neither credit nor debit, so do not choose either option. The terminal should proceed to the next step without an additional input.
- You will be prompted to enter 2 different numbers, and they may be requested in any order:
- An Identification Number. The CMP has provided the exact ID number for your vehicle/card on the Key Packet with your travel materials. Do not press Enter unless prompted, it should automatically proceed.
- The current odometer reading. Press Enter if needed.
- If an issue occurs, the station attendant MAY be able to help you. More often, this is not the case. Plan ahead so that if an issue were to occur, that you have the ability to go to a different gas station if needed.