Ride Along Program
The East Carolina University Police Department welcomes your participation in the Ride-Along Program. Through this program, we believe that you will gain insight into the operation of this department. We hope that you will find this experience both informative and enjoyable.
The Department Application and General Release Form are required for all passenger observers. The application is an on-line form and the release form is a printable form; both of which are linked below.
The assigned officer will maintain control over the observer at all times and instruct him/her in the conditions which necessarily limit his/her participation. These instructions should include:
- Officers will instruct Ride-Along observers of expected behavior prior to the ride.
- The observer will not involve him/herself in any investigation, handling of evidence, discussions with victims or suspects, or handling of any police equipment.
- The observer will follow the instructions of the assigned officer.
- The observer may terminate his/her ride at any time he/she desires and the officer may, at his/her discretion, return the observer to the station should the observer become a hindrance to the performance of his/her duties.
- Assigned officers are not to allow any observer to be present in any residences or situations that would cause undue stress or embarrassment to the observer, a victim, or any other witness.
- Failure to comply with the directives of the officer will end the Ride-Along.
Link to Ride Along General Release Form. This form must be notarized.