Examples of Expenses
Below are examples of authorized and unauthorized transactions, which are reviewed during training classes. The purchasing card cannot be used for items listed on the unauthorized transactions list. If you have any questions, please contact the ProCard Office before purchasing.
- Memberships and organization dues*
- Subscriptions – To a business address / Annual Only / includes software subscriptions*
- Conference registrations (all ECU Travel policies apply)*
- Interlibrary Loans
- Postage and stamps
- Express shipping & freight (NOT for shipments being picked up by a courier)
- Licenses such as nurses, doctors, etc.
- Office and lab supplies and equipment (contract vendors)
- Software (prepackaged), accessories and peripherals
- Other State contract items purchased through State contract vendors
- Air, bus and train fares (Additional approval required.One checked bag allowed each way.No candidate tickets.)
- Promotional items with approval from funding source and logo review, as required. http://www.ecu.edu/cs-admin/mktg/logo_review.cfm
- Maintenance contract / agreement payments with initial contract approval by Materials Management and on file.
- Student group travel - contact us
*Required to be paid on ProCard (some exceptions apply - merchant does not accept VISA, foundation funds are being used to purchase the item, purchase amount is over the single transaction limit of the ProCard).
- NO purchases for personal use
- NO purchases over designated spending limits and no split ticket purchases to circumvent the single purchase limit
- NO animals
- NO weapons and ammunition
- NO purchases from pawn shops
- NO controlled substances (Drugs, Alcohol, Fireworks)
- NO payments to individuals, consultants or employees (Vendor must provide a FEIN number versus a SSN)
- NO purchases from University storerooms (Go through PORT)
- NO travel, such as lodging, food/meals, car rentals, gas, trip protection/insurance, seat charges/upgrades, early check-in, taxis, tours, additional functions, etc.
- NO prepared food, such as meals, restaurants, caterers, fast food vendors, etc. Approved food from grocery stores requires a legit business purpose, itemized receipt, flier/meeting announcement and list of attendees.
- NO entertainment
- NO Cash Advances
- NO Gifts / Contributions (Includes, but not limited to flowers, cards, holiday items, etc.)
- NO Gift Cards, Incentives or Prize Purchases without prior approval per the "Gift Cards, Incentives and Prize Purchases" procedure found at http://www.ecu.edu/purchasing/
- NO purchases from Foundation funds
- NO computers or laptops
- NO items requiring the signing or click-to-agree of a vendor agreement, without prior, written-approval from Materials Management (Ex. Customizable software)
- NO vendors that require the cardholder to agree to terms and conditions in order to complete the purchase, except those vendors whose terms have been approved by Materials Management.
- NO payments to ECU for classes or for Parking & Transportation. (Use an IDT)
- NO payments that involve making changes to facilities
- NO beverages other than Coca-Cola products in small quantities. (Coke has the exclusive rights on campus.)
*Some exceptions apply.