Compile the Materials for Your Course Pack
• Course syllabus
• Instructor handouts
• Journal articles
• Selected readings from books
• Your original research
• Other items from various sources
Gather all of your materials together, making clean copies to submit as masters if possible. If you'd prefer, we can make a master copy for you. Feel free to ask!
Organize Your Course Pack Materials
1. Prepare a Table of Contents
This is helpful if your Course Pack is large or if you have several articles within the Course Pack. A Table of Contents will help your students and the bookstore by having a list of all materials enclosed. NOTE: Automatic page numbering on the copies is now available using the Xerox DocuTech copier at ECU Rapid Copy.
2. Prepare a Bibliography
You must submit a bibliography to the bookstore to clear your copyrighted items. We must have complete information in order to secure permissions. It is helpful if a copy is made of the title page and acknowledgment page for the bookstore. Please make sure you provide original sources for all materials submitted. (For example, original sources for anthologies.)
3. Securing Copyright Permission
You may choose to secure copyright permission through publishers, or ECU-Dowdy Student Stores can secure permission for you. The Student Store secures permissions through Copyright Clearance Center when possible. At other times requests are faxed or mailed to the publishers. The Store maintains a log/tracking sheet with your Course Pack to keep track of who permission requests were sent to, if there are any problems, and the prices when permission is granted. Student Store personnel will contact you to let you know how much the permission fees are on each item. In some cases we will not be charged a royalty fee to use copyrighted materials due to our educational status. In some cases it can be more difficult and time consuming to secure permissions of materials, such as those with older copyright dates. We will keep you informed if any problems arise.
Placing Your Order For a Course Pack
Call the ECU Student Stores at 252.328.6731 to have your Course Pack materials picked up, or you may bring them to the store in the Wright Building. School of Medicine staff may bring materials to the Medical Bookstore. Be sure to contact us by the deadline so we have sufficient time to secure copyright permissions if needed.
A Course Pack order form is completed for each course. From information provided on your form, we will create the cover to include the course name and number, section number if applicable, semester and year, and the instructor's name. ECU-Dowdy Student Stores submits the order for Course Packs to ECU Rapid Copy. Your Course Pack is produced and delivered back to the Student Stores. Pricing is completed and the Course Packs are put on the shelf, in most cases, next to the textbooks for your course.
It is important for you to indicate on your Textbook Order Form that you will be using a Course Pack. This information is needed to guarantee shelf space beside your books, making it easier for students to locate their materials.
What You Should Know About Reorders
ECU Student Stores will reorder Course Packs if they have sold out and students still need a copy. We ask students to place a Special Order request when reorders are necessary. Special orders are normally back within two working days. Once the special orders arrive in the store, they are matched up with the student's special order card and they are notified to pick up their items. All special orders must be picked up within three days unless other arrangements have been made.
We Ask You To Help Us By...
• Submitting your materials and information by the deadline dates.
• Submitting a complete bibliography with your Course Pack request.
• Submitting any additional information that could help us secure your permissions.
• Providing us with the number of Course Packs needed for your students. (Please remember we will have to write off extra copies as a loss to the bookstore.)
• Informing the Student Stores when you become aware of additional enrollments which would potentially offset quantities of textbooks and Course Packs ordered.
• Making sure your items are on the shelf as requested.
• Examining your free desk copy for any errors that may have been missed in spot checking.
• Asking your students to purchase your Course Pack and let them know it is available at ECU Dowdy Student Stores, or at the Medical Bookstore for medical students.