Become an expert at using Degree Works. Degree Works is a web-based application, accessible through Banner Self Service, that allows you to monitor your progress towards your degree. Your advisor uses it for advising. The Registrar's Office uses it to be sure you have met all degree requirements. So, it is important that you use it, too. All degree-seeking students are strongly encouraged to use it to develop a plan of study

Consult on a regular basis with your advisor. Your advisor is available to you by email and for meetings. We are here to help you navigate your way to graduation.

Tip: Degree Works does not list your concentration as an intended major. To view a worksheet with your intended concentration use the What If feature, choosing both a major and concentration.


You may schedule a meeting with your advisor by using the Scheduler app in Pirate Port. The Scheduler app allows you to easily find a meeting time that works for both your advisor and you. During the first week of registration, the COB Advising Center operates on a walk-in basis.

Tip: After you schedule your meeting, be sure to accept it via the Outlook meeting request so it will be placed on your Outlook calendar. 

Talk to your professor. All faculty are required to hold office hours each week to give students an opportunity outside of class to meet to get more help. 

Seek out extra help. The Pirate Academic Success Center offers support services (e.g. peer tutoring, study skills assistance, workshops) for students both on campus and online. They can also direct you to other academic support services at ECU. 

Tip: Reach out for extra help sooner, rather than later.



All important dates related to academics (e.g. registration, schedule changes, withdrawal deadlines, final exams) are on the academic calendar. Tip: On the academic calendar, click the application/processing deadlines link to see things like payment deadlines.

The registration schedule, telling you when you can register, is available here.

Tip: Put those important academic dates on your personal calendar.

It depends on your major. BSBA majors are not required to have an internship to graduate. However, internships are strongly encouraged as a way to use work experience in a business environment to supplement your classroom experience. Also, the College of Business has an internship-for-credit program that allows students to earn elective credit. 

The BS in Hospitality Management requires students to take HMGT 3990. One of the requirements for the course is that the student secure an approved internship that includes a minimum of 400 work hours.

Tip: Never overlook an opportunity to network. Those relationships you build may lead to that great internship!

BS - Hospitality Management

BSBA - Management

  • General Business concentration
  • Management concentration
BSBA - Management Information Systems
  • Management Information Systems concentration
BSBA - Marketing
  • Operations and Supply Chain Management concentration
Tip: Carefully consider being a distance education student. While it does offer you flexibility not available with face-to-face classes, it is not for everyone. 



Keep in mind that Banner Self Service is a program that does what it is programmed to do. Registration errors happen when Banner is presented with a situation that conflicts with that programming. When you have a registration error, take the following steps.

  1. Make sure your student record is clear of holds. Most holds will prevent registration activity in Banner Self Service.
  2. Define the error. You can find an explanation of common registration errors here
  3. Review the detailed section information in Banner Self Service. On the Look Up Classes page, click the CRN for the class, then click the title. That will get you to the detailed class information page. On that page, you can read any restrictions that are on that particular class. 
  4. Bookmark and use the Academic Advising Collaborative web site. It includes helpful tips on class registration.
  5. Ask an advisor. If you email your advisor for help, be sure to include a screencap of the error message, along with the exact course and section. If you are on campus and need help with a registration issue, stop by the COB Advising Center and ask to speak with an advisor.

Degree Works is programmed to look for courses that meet the requirements for your degree, major, etc.. 

If you were given transfer credit, but not for an exact ECU course, you can have it reevaluated at the department level. A reevaluation request should include a course description and/or syllabus. 

  • e.g. MAT 200 transferred as MATH 2XXX, but you think it is equivalent to MATH 2283. Send a reevaluation request to the Mathematics Department.
If you took a course that isn't exactly the same, but you think could substitute for a required course, ask your advisor.

If it looks like some transfer credits are missing, ask your advisor.

Tip: Take care of any substitution or reevaluation requests ASAP so your Degree Works worksheet properly reflects how your past work applies to your current degree requirements.