Strategies for Academic Success
Are you struggling with your courses? Are you feeling overwhelmed with your coursework? Are you currently on academic warning or probation? Are you worried you will be placed on academic warning, probation or suspension?
To be a successful college students, there are certain strategies that MUST be followed. Ask yourself these simple questions:
- Have you registered for a realistic courseload?
- Have you purchased all of the necessary materials for each of your classes (books, i-clicker, etc.) and are you using them (including online resources)?
- Are you attending class regularly, on time, and prepared?
- Do you read the chapters on the syllabus before each class?
- Are you reviewing your notes daily after every class?
- Are you studying daily? (You should schedule study time every day)
- Are you studying enough? (Did you know you should be studying at least TWICE as many hours as your courseload? That means 12 semester hours equates to 24 hours of study time per week)
- Are you studying effectively? (Did you know that studies have shown that studying for several hours straight or late at night is not effective?)
- Are you communicating with your academic advisor about any concerns/issues you have?
A successful college student will answer YES to all of the above questions! If you answered NO to any of the above questions, you should consider talking with your academic advisor to create an Academic Plan of Action that will help you be more successful. You should also take advantage of the FREE resources below.
The Pirate Tutoring Center (PTC) provides free tutoring services for ECU students, academic skills workshops, study skills coaching, and academic support to enhance student success.
You may attend walk in tutoring during the evenings or schedule individual appointments with during the daytime hours. In addition, professional staff will meet individually with you to improve study skills on a one on one basis if desired.
The PTC is located on the first floor of Joyner Library. You can contact PTC staff at 252-737-3009 or by emailing email@example.com
For more information, please visit the Pirate Tutoring Center
Department Based Tutoring
Additional assistance is available across campus covering areas such as Math, Science, Foreign Language, Business, Social Sciences and Writing.