“For what it’s worth: it’s never too late or, in my case,
too early to be whoever you want to be. There’s no time limit, stop whenever
you want. You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing. We
can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. And I
hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt
before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live
a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the
courage to start all over again.”
--F. Scott Fitzgerald
What is Advising?
The foundation of the advising process is a good working relationship between the advisor and the student. The goal of advising is to help you:
- define your educational and career objectives;
- become well informed about policies and procedures, curricular options and academic program requirements so that you make consistent progress toward timely graduation;
- plan an academic program which incorporates your interests, aptitudes and career goals; and
- make full use of the curricular and co-curricular facilities and resources available at ECU.
- Discuss major requirements and assist in course selection
- Provides accurate and timely information
- Discuss academic goals and ways to meet them
- Make referrals when necessary (academic, career, and personal)
- Be knowledgeable of campus policies and procedures (or be able to find the necessary information)
- Know who your advisor is and how to contact them!
- Check ECU e-mail on a regular basis
- Be familiar with undergraduate catalog, major requirements, ECU website
- Come prepared to advising sessions (questions, research, etc)
- Communicate with your advisor as needed (problems, concerns, questions, etc.)
- Make appointments and keep them!
- Take responsibility for your academic progress!
Advising Syllabus - This syllabus is a roadmap to the advising process. Included you will find the THCAS Academic Advising & Resource Center's advising philosophy, student/advisor roles & responsibilities, contact information and much more!