Announcing – National Science Foundation Grant to support student scholarships for Biology and Biochemistry at East Carolina University. In Fall 2012, six incoming freshmen will be chosen to receive $10,000, $7,500 or $5,000 scholarships, based on financial need. To qualify, students must be from the financially deserving pool of incoming ECU BS Biology and BS Biochemistry intended majors with at least a 3.0 high school GPA. Students must have demonstrated financial need (FAFSA-eligible) and apply to the Bio Living-Learning community (BioLL) by April 20, 2012.
The BioExcellence Scholarship program’s goal is to support academic achievement, so that recipients complete BS Biology or BS Biochemistry degrees in four years, leading to a career in the biosciences. For their first two years, BioExcellence students will be required to live on campus in the newly launched Bio Living-Learning Community (BioLL). All BioLL students will be supported in their coursework by several programs including peer tutoring, career information and block scheduling for the first two years, followed by undergraduate research mentoring and internships in the biosciences in their final years of study to help guide students in career decisions. BioExcellence scholarships will be renewed each year for a total of three years as long as recipients are financially eligible, remain as Biology or Biochemistry majors, and maintain a minimal 3.0 GPA on full-time coursework.
Special BioExcellence and BioLL program features include:
· A unique freshmen orientation, including a sailboat excursion with the co-PI
· Cohorting students, as feasible, into math and science courses for the first two years
· Hiring peer tutors to sit in on specific courses so that they can provide academic support
· Incentives for the scholars to visit the Pirate Tutoring Center
· COAD 1000 course section exclusively for BioLL members
· A “Careers in Biosciences” course for second semester freshmen
· A research course for sophomores
· A cultural awareness program for juniors and leadership opportunities in the BioLL
· Assistance with undergraduate research, internships and GRE preparation
· Career counseling, resume help and job interview coaching for seniors
BioLL and BioExcellence application: https://ecu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_d76f2ylIzzspduA
For more information about the grant, see http://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward.do?AwardNumber=1154506