Assistant Professor, Inorganic and Organic Chemistry
Senior Scientist (2003), Principal Scientist (2006), Eastman Kodak Company
Senior Research Chemist, DSM Pharmaceuticals, Inc (2002)
Postdoctoral associate, Purdue University (1998)
COE (Center of Excellence) Research Fellow, Hokkaido University, Japan (1996)
Visiting Scientist, Institute for Molecular Sciences, Japan (1995)
NNSF Postdoctoral fellow, Shanghai Institute of Organic Chemistry, China (1994)
Ph.D. Chemistry, Nanjing University, China (1994)
BS/MS Zhengzhou University, China (1988,1991)
Our main research interest includes the design, synthesis, characterization, and application of novel functional organometallic or organic molecules as advanced materials applied to catalysis, organoelectronics, and other chemically or biologically important areas. Current research is focused on phosphorescent materials for OLED (organic light-emitting diodes) applications, photocatalysis, and chemical or biological sensor applications. OLEDs (Organic light emitting diodes) represents one of few organoelectronic technologies which have found industrial applications such as displays and solid state lighting. The standard multilayer structure of a prototypical OLED includes the anode, hole-transporting layer, emissive layer, electron-transporting layer, and cathode. Our goal is to develop a broad range of materials that can be used to improve OLED devices’ performance, such as quantum efficiency, power efficiency, and stability.
Book Chapters and Reviews:
- Shouquan Huo and Ei-ichi Negishi
Palladium-Catalyzed Alkenyl-Aryl, Aryl-Alkenyl, and Alkenyl-Alkenyl Couplings
In The Handbook of Organopalladium Chemistry for Organic Synthesis, E. Negishi, Ed., J. Wiley & Sons, New York, Sect. III.2.6, 2002, 335-408.
- Ei-ichi Negishi and Shouquan Huo
Synthesis and Reactivity of Zirconocene Derivatives
In Titanium and Zirconium in Organic Synthesis, Chapter 1, Marek, I., Ed., Wiley-VCH, 2002, 1-49.
- Ei-ichi Negishi and Shouquan Huo
Zirconium-catalyzed Enantioselective Carboalumination of “Unactivated” Alkenes as a New Synthetic Tool for Asymmetric Carbon-carbon Bond Formation
Pure Appl. Chem. 2002, 74, 151-157.
Original Research Articles:
- Alexander W. Garner, Caleb F. Harris, Dileep A. K. Vezzu, Robert D. Pike, Shouquan Huo, Solvent-controlled switch of selectivity between sp2 and sp3 C-H bond activation by platinum(II), Chemical Communications, 2011, 47, 1902-1904.
- Joseph C. Deaton, Ralph H. Young, Jerome R. Lenhard, Manju Rajeswaran, Shouquan Huo, Photophysical properties of the series fac- and mer-(1-phenylisoquinolinato-N C2')x(2-phenylpyridinato-N C2')3-xiridium(III) (x = 1-3). Inorganic Chemistry, 2010, 49, 9151-9161.
- Deepak Ravindranathan, Dileep A. K. Vezzu, Libero Bartolotti, Paul D. Boyle, Shouquan Huo, Improvement in Phosphorescence Efficiency through Tuning of Coordination Geometry of Tridentate Cyclometalated Platinum(II) Complexes. Inorganic Chemistry, 2010, 49, 8922-8928.
- Dileep A. K. Vezzu, Joseph C. Deaton, James S. Jones, Libero Bartolotti, Caleb F. Harris, Alfred P. Marchetti, Marina Kondakova, Robert D. Pike, Shouquan Huo, Highly Luminescent Tetradentate Bis-Cyclometalated Platinum Complexes: Design, Synthesis, Structure, Photophysics, and Electroluminescence Application. Inorganic Chemistry, 2010, 49, 5107-5119.
- Dileep A. K. Vezzu, Joseph C. Deaton, Mohammed Shayeghi, Yumin Li, Shouquan Huo, Acridinone/Amine(carbazole)-Based Bipolar Molecules: Efficient Hosts for Fluorescent and Phosphorescent Emitters, Organic Letters, 2009, 11, 4310-4313.
- Manju Rajeswaran, William J. Bgley, Leif P. Olson, and Shouquan Huo, Steric effects of substituted quinolines on lithium coordination geometry, Polyhedron 2007, 26, 3653-3660.
- Joseph C. Deaton, Shouquan Huo, Barbara Lussier, Chrostopher T. Brown, Joy C. Garnett, Debra B. Blondell, and Michael R. Landry, Vapor Pressures of Homo- and Heteroleptic Orthemetalated Complexes of iridium, Digest of Technical Papers-Society for Information Display International Symposium, 2006, 37 (Bk. 1), 939-941.
- Shouquan Huo, Joseph C. Deaton, Manju Rajeswaran, and William C. Lenhart, Highly Efficient, Selective, and General Method for the Preparation of Meridional Homo- and Heteroleptic Tris-cyclometalated Iridium Complexes, Inorg. Chem. 2006, 45, 3155-3157.
- Ze Tan, Bo Liang, Shouquan Huo, Ji-Cheng Shi, Ei-Ichi Negishi, Zirconium-catalyzed asymmetric carboalumination (ZACA reaction) of 1,4-dienes, Tetrahedron: Asymmetry 2006, 17(4), 512-515.
- Shouquan Huo, Highly Efficient, General Procedure for the Preparation of Alkylzinc Reagents from Unactivated Alkyl Bromides and Chlorides, Org. Lett. 2003, 5, 423-425.
- Shouquan Huo, Ji-cheng Shi, and Ei-ichi Negishi, A New Protocol for The Enantioselective Synthesis of Methyl-Substituted Alkanols and Their Derivatives via Hydroalumination-Zirconium-Catalyzed Alkylalumination Tandem Process, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2002, 41, 2141-2143.
- Tamotsu Takahashi, Masanori Ishikawa, and Shouquan Huo, Reaction of A Double Bond of Zirconacyclopentadienes: Formation of 1,2,3,5-Tetrasubstituted Benzenes via The C-C Bond Cleavage, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2002, 124, 388-389.
- Shouquan Huo and Ei-ichi Negishi, A Convenient and Asymmetric Protocol for The Synthesis of Natural Products Containing Chiral Alkyl Chains via Zr-Catalyzed Asymmetric Carboalumination of Alkenes. Synthesis of Phytol and Vitamins E and K, Org. Lett. 2001, 3, 3253.
- Tamotsu Takahashi, Shouquan Huo, Ryuichiro Hara, Yoshinori Noguchi, Kiyohiko Nakajima, and Wen-Hua Sun, Reaction of Zirconacyclopentadienes with CO in The Presence of n-BuLi. Selective Formation of Cyclopentenone Derivatives from Two Alkynes and CO, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1999, 121, 1094.
US Patents and Patent Applications
US 6,835,835 B1
US 6, 824,895 B1
US 7,029,766 B2
US 2006135772 A1
US 2006134461 A1
US 2006134460 A1
US 2006134459 A1
US 2006063030 A1
US 2006063031 A1
US 2006228579 A1
US 2006264632 A1