Minutes: Classics Committee Meeting, September 10, 2015. 2pm Bate 3321
Present: John Stevens (Acting Director), Megan Perry (Acting Secretary), Laura Mazow, Tricia Wilson-Okamura, David Wilson-Okamura, Lisa Ellison, Marylaura Papalas, Jacob Parks (student representative)
Welcome:. Stevens was welcomed as Acting Director; Perry volunteered as secretary; and Jacob Parks was welcomed and elected as student representative.
Agenda Item 1: Changes to Classical Studies Minor
Stevens proposed reducing minor from 24 to 18 hours following other program minors in HCAS. Changes introduced to the committee were:
- No longer double-counting courses from the Foreign Language requirements; requirements would now include GRK or LATN 1003 and 1004 as cognates which might count toward electives for students who do not have a foreign language requirement; modified the proposed language under electives to read “LATN or GRK courses not used to satisfy foreign language requirements (if any) for your major”.
- After discussion about the difficulty of having what is in effect a 2 year FL requirement, the committee deferred to the proposal of the Classics Curriculum Committee to keep a 1003-1004 language requirement.
- Reducing core requirements from 15 to 9 s.h. (HIST 3405 or 3410, CLAS 2220 or 2230, and CLAS 4000)
- Deleting PHIL 3350 and RELI 5000 from electives and adding HIST 5340
- Approved deleting RELI 5000 and adding HIST 5340
- Tabled deletion of PHIL 3350 to see if Classical philosophers would be taught regularly in course.
- Changing catalogue copy as proposed by Stevens
- Approved copy subject to inquiry about PHIL 3350
Agenda Item 2: Report by Jacob Parks on proposed student initiatives/involvement
- Start Classical Student Association (CSA)M
- First meeting was Sept 9
- Next meeting October 14
- Planned field trip to NCMA on October 17
- Involvement in ECU Open House Oct 24th
- Encourage students to present at CSA meeting on current papers/research
- Joint seminar with History Honors Society on Effective Presentations (Sept. 30)
- Spread the word on the CSA!
- Pub nights scheduled for Sept. 9 and Oct. 22
Agenda Item 3: Open House on 10/24
- Tricia W-O will represent Classical Studies (along with students from CSA)
Agenda Item 4: Majors/Minors
- Currently 12 majors and 10 minors
- 7 majors and 6 minors will be graduating in 2015/2016
Agenda Item 5: Spring courses
- Discussed possibility of teaching senior seminar with upper level Latin course (Seneca’s tragedies) because of lack of faculty
- Mazow is teaching Egypt Class (ANTH 3118)
- Perry is teaching Death & Disease (ANTH 3030)
- Petra field school Summer Session I
- Possible lecture on a philosophical topic
- Co-host with Philosophy? History?