PhD ADMISSION PROCESS
- Fall Admission—January 15
1. Complete the General Graduate Record Examination [GRE] Test. (No GRE subject test is required.)
Note that you are to complete the general GRE which measures verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and critical thinking and analytical writing skills. Visit http://www.gre.org to learn more about the test and to register for the test.
2. Use the online application process at the Graduate School website, particularly the step-by-step guidelines, to submit application materials.
3. Along with the application form, submit the following supplemental materials to the Graduate School:
• Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended, including documentation of the successful completion of a master’s degree
• Scores on the General GRE (Graduate Record Examination) taken within the past five years
• Recent score on the TOEFL or IELTS for international students whose native language is not English (for current minimum scores, see the ECU Graduate School web site)
• Three letters of recommendation (at least two of which should be academic references) and a completed recommendation form
• A curriculum vitae
• A Statement of Intent (i.e., a professional goal statement)
• Writing samples that demonstrate writing and research abilities
4. As you prepare your application materials, review these notes:
• All documents are uploaded during the online application process.
5. After your application materials are complete, the Graduate School will release them for review and evaluation by the English Department. The English Department’s doctoral admissions committee will review your application and you will be notified by the Director of Graduate Studies in English about its decision.