Laura Levi Altstaedter
Hispanic Studies Education
Bate 3320 (office)
Dept. Foreign Languages & Literatures
East Carolina University Mailstop #556
Greenville, NC 27858-4353
PhD Curriculum and Instruction, Second Language Education, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
MA History, Latin American Studies, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
MA Curriculum and Instruction, Wake Forest University
Traductorado Público en Idioma Inglés, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina
AREAS OF INTEREST
Dr. Levi Altstaedter's research focuses primarily on second language writing at the college level.
She is particularly interested in peer feedback and how it impacts students' writing proficiency. She is also interested in researching the effects of
technology-enhanced language instruction on students' perceptions and language proficiency.
Associate Editor and Reviewer, International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
Member of the National Audit Team (American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages/ Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation)
2016 Board of Governors Distinguished Professor for Teaching Award (East Carolina University)
2016 Robert L. Jones Award for Outstanding Teaching (East Carolina University)
- Levi Altstaedter, L. (published online in November 2016, forthcoming in print in Spring 2017). Developing a Spanish for Health Professions course: A preliminary mixed methods study. Foreign Language Annals. DOI:10.111.flan.12221.
- Levi Altstaedter, L.; Smith, J. & Fogarty, L. (2016). Co-Teaching: Towards a new model for teacher preparation in Foreign Language Teacher Education. Hispania, 99(4), 635-649.
- Levi Altstaedter, L. (2016) Investigating the impact of peer feedback in foreign language writing. Innovation in Language Teaching and Learning.
- Levi Altstaedter, L. & Falasca, M. (2015). Exploring foreign language pre-service teacher beliefs: An international exchange experience. Global Partners in Education Journal, 5(1), 38-50.
- Levi Altstaedter, L. & Doolittle, P. (2014) Students’ perceptions of peer feedback. Argentinean Journal of Applied Linguistics, 2(2), 59-76.
- Levi Altstaedter, L. (2011). La escritura como proceso en español como lengua extranjera: opiniones de los alumnos.
Signos ELE, 5(5).
- Falasca, M., & Levi Altstaedter, L. (2011) Using WebQuests to enhance intercultural competence in the foreign language classroom: A survey study.
NECTFL Review, 67, 15-30.
- Levi Altstaedter, L., & Jones, B. (2009) Motivating students' foreign language and culture acquisition through Web-based inquiry.
Foreign Language Annals, 42(4), 640-657.
- Doolittle, P., & Levi Altstaedter, L. (2009) The effect of working memory capacity on multimedia learning: Does attentional control result in improved performance?
Journal of Research in Innovative Teaching, 2(1), 7-29.