Teaching Assistant Professor
Dept. Foreign Languages & Literatures
East Carolina University
Greenville, NC 27858-4353
B.A. French and International Studies, UNC Chapel Hill
M.A. Modern Greek Literature, Ohio State University
Ph.D. French Literature, Ohio State University
AREAS OF INTEREST
Marylaura Papalas currently works on writers of the European avant-garde. She has published on both Greek and French Surrealists. Her current monograph project analyzes female avant-garde writers and in particular the elements of violence, criminality, and madness in their work. Dr. Papalas also researches contemporary language technology methods and has taught French courses by synchronous distance education.
- 2013. "New Orientations for French Language Learning: Is Synchronous Distance Education a Viable Solution?" The French Review, 87.2.99-112.
- 2013. "Surrealism's Anti-Muse; Feminine Violence in the work of Joyce Mansour." Rebelles, Vilaines et Criminelles chez les Ecrivaines d'Expression Française ou la Déviance au Féminin. Ed. Colette Trout and Frederique Chevillot. New York: Rodopi. 201-215.
- 2009. "Is Sollers Still Avant-Garde ? The New Avant-Garde City and Philippe Sollers' Un Vrai Roman." The South Carolina Modern Language Review. 8.1. 36-45.
- 2006. "Nicolas Calas' Surrealism: Liberating the National Greek Identity." Modernism and Modernity in the Mediterranean World, ed. Pietropaolo, Lucas Somigli, Dario Brancato. Ottowa: Legas.103-114.
- FREN 1001-1004, French Language (Traditional & DE)
- FREN 2108, French Culture & Communication
- FREN 2330, Advanced Grammar Review
- FREN 3560, The Contemporary French & Francophone World / The French Avant-garde
- FORL 2520, French Cinema Classics