French and Francophone Studies
Ragsdale 135 (office)
Dept. Foreign Languages & Literatures
East Carolina University Mailstop #556
Greenville, NC 27858-4353
B.A. French and International Studies, UNC Chapel Hill
M.A. Modern Greek Literature, Ohio State University
Ph.D. French Literature, Ohio State University
Areas of Interest
Marylaura Papalas currently works on writers of the European avant-garde. She has published on both Greek and French Surrealists. Her current monograph project analyzes female avant-garde writers and in particular the construction of identity and femininity through representations of violence, criminality, and madness in their work.
- In progress. "Avant-garde Cuts: Elsa Schiaparelli and the Fragmented Female." Under submission.
- 2015. "Speed and Convulsive Beauty: Trains and the Historic Avant-garde." Studies in 20th & 21st Century Literature 39.1.
- 2013. "New Orientations for French Language Learning: Is Synchronous Distance Education a Viable Solution?" The French Review, 87.2.99-112.
- 2013. "Surrealism's Anti-Muse; Feminine Violence in the work of Joyce Mansour." Rebelles, Vilaines et Criminelles chez les Ecrivaines d'Expression Française ou la Déviance au Féminin. Ed. Colette Trout and Frederique Chevillot. New York: Rodopi. 201-215.
- 2009. "Is Sollers Still Avant-Garde ? The New Avant-Garde City and Philippe Sollers' Un Vrai Roman." The South Carolina Modern Language Review. 8.1. 36-45.
- 2006. "Nicolas Calas' Surrealism: Liberating the National Greek Identity." Modernism and Modernity in the Mediterranean World, ed. Pietropaolo, Lucas Somigli, Dario Brancato. Ottowa: Legas.103-114.
- CLAS 4000, Seminar: Modern Greek Identities
- FREN 1001-1004, French Language (Traditional & DE)
- FREN 2108, French Culture & Communication
- FREN 2330, Advanced Grammar Review
- FREN 3560, The Contemporary French & Francophone World / The French Avant-garde
- FORL 2520, French Cinema Classics