Minutes, Great Books Committee Meeting
November 9, 2012
Present: Mona Russell, David Wilson-Okamura, John Given, Ed Wall, David Smith, John Stevens, and Helena Feder
1. Election of officers. John Stevens re-elected as Chair.
2. Report on 2600 Fall 2012. The class is going well. Students are participating well, enjoying the texts, and (on whole) producing good work. Helena will complete assessment in the spring.
3. Report on 2500 planned for Spring. David is thrilled to report the class is fully (or almost fully) enrolled. He is looking at new ways of structuring student presentations.
4. Speakers. Ideas? John suggests that we ask around to see who might be willing to come to campus (or who is already scheduled to speak) in the spring.
5. Selection of topic and instructor of 2000 for fall 2013. The committee decided that the class need not be taught as a “round-robin.” John asked for ideas for new topics/ proposals for the course. Helena volunteered to teach 2000 and will come up with a proposal.
Minutes submitted by Helena Feder, November 29, 2012