Minutes of the Great Books Committee
September 28, 2016. Meeting #1. Bate 3321.
Members: Assoc. Dean Derek Maher, Anne Bunnell, Helena Feder, Thomas Herron, Su-Ching Huang, Frank Romer, Mona Russell, David Smith, Nancy Spalding, John Stevens, Edmund Wall, Justin Wilmes, David Wilson-Okamura
Present:Anne Bunnell, Helena Feder, David Smith, John Stevens, David Wilson-Okamura, Ed Wall, and Justin WilmesCalled to order: 12:30
1. Schedule. Frank Romer is teaching GRBK 2000 in Spring 2017 as Great Books of Strategy on Monday evenings. Su-ching is teaching GRBK 2010 in Fall 2017 (cross-listed in ENGL). Both will provide a list of texts to the committee soon. Faculty were asked to publicize these courses.
2. Recruitment. We now have five majors (!) and seven minors, and we are growing. Faculty were asked to visit one or two classes in their departments each semester to recruit for the minor and GRBK classes. The program needs 10 majors and 20 minors as soon as possible to have a chance of getting some funding back. A GRBK standing banner is being designed by Creative Services to help with Open House Days and other recruiting events.
3. Speakers. The program is co-sponsoring Stephen Dunn, reading his poetry at Greenville Museum of Art Oct. 21st at 5pm and fundraising is underway to attract a major speaker.
4. Course reports GRBK 2600 is going well. Students have enjoyed the texts.
5. Cross-listing. The program needs to find a way to cross-list GRBK 3001 and GRNK 2500, the next two courses to be scheduled in spring and fall 2018. Faculty will reach out to Biology and History to ascertain their interest in offering a course in load. These courses will run once every 2.5 to 3 years.
6. Marketing materials. The Director will get some new flyers to faculty who have committed to visiting classes soon.
Submitted by Helena Feder.