Undergraduate Scholarships and Awards
The Department of History offers generous scholarships and awards for undergraduate history majors and prospective history honors students. The Department's benefactors have established a variety of endowments to encourage outstanding achievement in scholarship, leadership, and service. Some of the Department's scholarships are intended for those outstanding history majors who also demonstrate financial need.
- a student must be a declared history major or a prospective history honors student at East Carolina University
- a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 is required
- some awards have specific requirements; see below
- a student must print complete, and submit the application below and include the required essay and written work
- ECU Department of History faculty may also nominate students for awards; a letter of nomination must be submitted with the application, written work, and essay
Applications and supporting materials should be submitted to Ms. Ingrid Meyer at the Department of History office, A-315 Brewster by Thursday, February 12th at 5:00pm. Please direct any questions to Dr. Timothy Jenks, Director of Undergraduate Studies in History, or to Dr. Wade Dudley, History Advisor.
Joseph and Catherine Hirsch Memorial Award
Designated for a promising Junior history major in honor of the parents of Professor Emeritus Dr. Robert Gowen.
Undergraduate history major must demonstrate outstanding scholarship, leadership, and need.
Richard C. Todd Scholarship in History
Dr. Todd, an outstanding undergraduate advisor and devoted husband of Sweetheart, after whom the Todd Dining Hall is commemorated, established this open scholarship.
Richard C. Todd Phi Alpha Theta Scholarship
One of the department's most caring and generous professors, Dr. Richard Todd wanted this endowment to reward history undergraduates for service to the profession. Specifically, Dr. Todd intended to reward outstanding leaders and members of the history honors society Phi Alpha Theta.
Roy N. Lokken Honors Award
To encourage scholarship, Dr. Roy Lokken established this award for the outstanding history honors paper.