Applicants are strongly encouraged to complete their online application no later than March 1 in order to allow sufficient time to receive necessary test scores, transcripts and other support documents by the April 1 deadline. Features of the successful applicant include an appropriate background and training for the program, demonstrated research experience, strong quantitative and computational skills, and strong oral and written communication skills.
The following materials are required for a complete application:
- Application form. On-line applications for domestic students can be accessed at http://www.ecu.edu/cs-acad/gradschool/Admissions-Information.cfm. Application information and the on-line form for International Students is available at http://www.ecu.edu/cs-acad/gradschool/International-Students.cfm
- An official transcript from each college or university previously attended.
- Statement of Purpose (= Statement of Intent). Your Statement of Purpose an important part of the application package because it contains information that may not necessarily be well represented by the other application materials, and helps us to determine if your professional interests can be served by our curriculum and our faculty. Your Statement of Purpose should describe (a) why you want to go to graduate school, (b) why you wish to pursue graduate studies at ECU, (c) your research interests, and (d) the experiences and training you have acquired that will help you to successfully pursue your graduate degree.
- Official GRE scores of the General Test (ECU's GRE code is 5180). A subject test (e.g. Biology, Chemistry) is not required.
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals in a professionally relevant field who can assess your promise as a graduate student
Statement of Purpose and Letter of Recommendation forms can be obtained via the on-line application site (GradApply), but only after you have submitted your application fee.
- TOEFL or IELTS scores if you are a foreign applicant and have received your baccalaureate degree from a university outside the USA where English is not the official language. We prefer TOEFL scores of at least 100 (no less than 20 per section) for the IBT exam, 550 for the paper-based exam, or 213 for the computer-based exam. The minimum IELTS score is 6.5.
- Non-refundable application fee