Degree and Certificate Programs
The Master of Science in Criminal Justice prepares students for professional advancement or further graduate study. Several programs are offered including a Master’s degree and multiple graduate Certificate options. Together, these programs give students the contemporary knowledge and skill needed to develop career, prepare for more advanced academic study, or contribute to becoming credentialed in the teaching field.
Master of Science in Criminal Justice
This non-thesis degree program is available online. It equips students with the academic competencies needed to excel in criminal justice organizations or pursue a more advanced degree in the field.
Graduate Certificate Options
Certificates can be obtained independently or while satisfying part of the elective requirements of the Master of Science in Criminal Justice degree. There are three to choose from which range from 15-18 semester hours (s.h.) depending on the program.
- Certificate in Criminal Justice Education
- Certificate in Security Studies (with the Dept. of Political Science)
- Certificate in Public Management and Leadership (with the Dept. of Political Science)
For criminal justice graduate program academic advising, contact the departmental Graduate Program Director Dr. Jon Sorensen (email@example.com ).
Courses are taught by exceptional faculty with diverse teaching and research experience in many criminal justice areas. A number of our award-winning faculty have criminal justice practitioner experience and are internationally or nationally recognized scholars. Not only do graduate students benefit from individualized mentoring by department faculty but other advantages include:
- Funded graduate assistantships are available
- Study can be tailored to applied or academic interests
- Certificate options enable students to obtain additional graduate credentials in the criminal justice teaching field, national security, or public management and leadership
- Practical research and program evaluation experience can be gained when participating with faculty on actual projects
- Extraordinary learning and leadership opportunities with the national criminal justice honor society, field experience, international study abroad, and research with faculty mentors
What can ECU do for you?
East Carolina University has a longstanding tradition of excellence in higher education and is an academic leader in teaching and research. We offer a number of campus and online degree and certificate programs including those in criminal justice, forensic science, and allied fields. Our students have the opportunity to interface with peers, dynamic faculty, and the university community while studying in a vibrant criminal justice department.