Welcome to ECU
Master of Arts in International Studies

ECU Main Home Handbook Faculty Resources

ECU Random Image


Domestic Students


Where can I find information about the application process and an application form for domestic students?

Consult the webpage of the ECU Graduate School.

What is admission deadline for the MA in International Studies program for the domestic students?

June 1 for fall semester and October 15 for spring semester.

What are the ECU code for the Graduate Record Exam (GRE)?

East Carolina University's GRE code is 5180.

What is the minimum GRE score acceptable for admission?

GRE scores are only one of the elements used to determine admission; another is GPA. In order to be eligible for out-of-state tuition remissions, however, out-of-state students must have a score of at least 1000 on the GRE and a 3.0 GPA. See below for more information about financial assistance.

Does the student need to have transcripts sent directly from the previous schools or are unopened official transcripts accepted?

Although we prefer to receive transcripts sent directly from previously attended institutions, unopened official transcripts are acceptable.

What are the current tuition costs and fees?

For current tuition and fees, consult the Cashier’s webpage:


Are there any other costs?


All students who want to park on campus must purchase a parking permit. For more information contact the Parking Office.

What kind of financial aid is available for the domestic students?

For financial aid information see Possible Sources of Funding.


Arriving and living in Greenville

When do students have to arrive? Enrollment dates? Beginning of the classes?

Students should try to arrive in Greenville at least one week before classes start so that they will have time to find housing, meet with their advisor,  register for classes and take care of all other paperwork. The Graduate School has an orientation session during the week before classes begin.

The important dates on the academic calendar can be found on the Faculty Senate Academic Calendar web page.

What is the average cost to rent an apartment in Greenville?

Rental costs vary according to the location and size of the apartment (number of bedrooms). One bedroom apartments may cost from $350 to $450 per month. Be sure to ask if utilities are included. Usually they are not, except water. Some apartment complexes include Internet connections and cable TV as part of the rent.

Is there a university bus service?

For information about university bus service see ECU Transit.

Is public transportation available in Greenville?

Consult Greenville public transportation (bus service). 

Study at ECU

What is average length of the MAIS program?

Students usually complete the MAIS program in two academic years. It includes a field experience outside the US.

Can a student transfer in graduate credits from another institution?

Students can transfer in 6 graduate credits from another institution. Check with the Graduate School for details.

Can a student take graduate courses at ECU before being formally admitted to the program?

Students can begin taking courses from the MA in International Studies program as a non-degree student. Check with the Graduate School for details.

Can student take classes from other graduate programs or pursue another degree?

Because the MAIS program is interdisciplinary, its concentration courses are drawn from other graduate programs across the campus. MA in International Studies students in certain concentrations (e.g., security studies, economic development, international teaching, Hispanic Studies) are encouraged to complete graduate certificates in those fields in addition to their concentrations by taking a small number of additional courses.

Graduate students may not pursue two graduate degrees simultaneously if these degrees would share credits. Graduate students wishing to pursue two degrees concurrently that do not share credits should consult with the director of the MA in International Studies Program.

What are the opportunities for internships, practical training or research?

MAIS students usually are awarded graduate assistantships to work with faculty members of projects or to assist university units in various ways. Domestic students can work 30 hrs/wk as graduate assistants. MA in International Studies graduate assistantships are usually for up to 20 hrs/wk. Other assistantships are available with units across the campus, such as the Laupus Library, the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures, the Office of International Affairs, the College of Education, the School of Nursing and the Office of Regional Development.

What are the foreign language requirements for the domestic students?

The MA in International Studies Program does not have an entrance foreign language requirement. It does recommend, however, that students have some foreign language skills. It does have a graduation foreign language requirement.

Domestic students in the MA in International Studies Program are required to attain certain levels of proficiency in foreign language in order to graduate. The requirements can be found on the MA in International Studies web page and in the appendices of the MA in International Studies Handbook. Students may complete the foreign language requirement at any time during their program. Their foreign language skills for the languages taught at ECU are usually assessed by an ECU faculty member. Students should consult with the MA in International Studies director to make arrangements for the assessment of skills in languages not taught at ECU.  

What are the field experience requirements for the domestic students?

Domestic students are required to complete a field experience of at least ten weeks in an international setting. Students may enroll in an intensive language course, complete an internship (paid or unpaid), work at a job, volunteer, do research or just stay with friends or relatives. Students receive credit not for the ten-week stay but for completing a portfolio of essays about their field experiences. Students who have completed extensive stays in an international setting before entering the program may request permission to use their time overseas as the basis of their portfolio.

What is involved in the field experience portfolio?

The field experience portfolio consists of a statement of intent, 3-4 essays in which students comment on and analyze culturally significant experiences of their overseas stay using the concepts and ideas they learned in their core courses. Since the portfolio courses, INTL 6930 and INTL 6940 are very much like process-writing courses, students submit drafts of their essays to the field experience instructor, receive comments and editorial suggestions, and rewrite the essays. Students do not receive a little grade for the course, which is treated much like a thesis course. Instead, they receive an "in progress" grade (Q) until their successfully complete the portfolio, at which time they receive a R grade.