Welcome to ECU
Master of Arts in International Studies

ECU Main Home Handbook Faculty Resources

ECU Random Image



If you are planning to enroll in an immersion program in an international setting:

  • Remember that most language immersion program courses are at the undergraduate level, usually elementary and intermediate language courses. These courses DO NOT carry graduate credit and cannot count toward your MA degree.

  • To avoid double-billing at two universities, students who use study abroad to satisfy the field experience requirement should register for INTL 6930 and 6940 in the semester after returning to ECU. The courses can be taken without additional tuition charge if you are already enrolled for 9 s.h.

  • The ECU Office of International Affairs administers the Thomas W. Rivers Endowment Scholarships for Study Abroad. These scholarships provide partial financial support for ECU students who participate in international study programs, exchanges, internships, or field experiences.

  • Information and applications for some of the major international scholarships and grants are also available through Office of International Affairs. These awards include: Fulbright Grants for Graduate Study and Research, British-Marshall Scholarships, Rhodes Scholarships, Boren Fellowships and Rotary Scholarships.

If you have considering an internship in an international setting:

  • Most internships are not paid. Although you may be lucky enough to find one that does.

  • You will probably have to pay your own transportation and living expenses.

  • In fact, if you work through an organization that arranges an internship for you, you may have to pay the organization for its services and for the arrangements that it makes.

  • Limited funding may be available through the Rivers Endowment at ECU. Contact the International House for details and an application form.