See projects that won from previous years Regional Science & Engineering Fair
2012 Region 1 Science and Engineering Fair Winners (PDF)
2011 Region 1 Science and Engineering Fair Winners! (PDF)
Elementary Division – Grades 3-5
Junior Division — Grades 6-8
Senior Division – Grades 9-12
Projects are not divided into content categories in this division. Elementary projects can be submitted as an individual or as a team (2 or 3 students) per projects. A total of three projects (either individual or team) may be submitted from a particular school to participate at the Regional level. A maximum of eight projects from each of the eight regional fairs will go on to compete at the State level.
JUNIOR & SENIOR DIVISIONS
These divisions are divided into content categories depending on the project. Students will participate in their assigned division and assigned content category.
1. Biological Science A: Animal Science, medicine & human health, microbiology
2. Biological Science B: Behavioral & social Science, biochemistry, cellular & molecular biology, plant Science
3. Chemistry: Science of the composition, structure, properties, and reactions of matter, especially of atomic and molecular systems
4. Earth/Environmental Science: Geology, mineralogy, physiography, oceanography, meteorology, climatology, environmental science
5. Physics: Science of matter and energy and of interactions between the two at various levels
6. Technology, Engineering: Application of scientific principles to manufacturing and practical uses.
Junior & Senior projects can be submitted as an individual or as a team (2 or 3 students) per project. Each Regional Fair can nominate two entries from each of the six categories for the State level NC Science and Engineering Fair.
For more information, see the NC State Science Fair Categories at the NCSEF official site.